Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HL10 VAZ required collars 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jevanb

Aerospace
Apr 9, 2014
US
installing HL10VAZ titanium shear aluminum coating fasteners, need the type of collars for this install , LISI says HL70, HL94, HL1097 and HL379 are the typical installed collars but what type should I use in aluminum structure, 727-200, the repair does not call the collar type and I cant get ahold of engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe the collar p/n's you listed are different materials and configurations. It is common on newer aircraft to use aluminum collars on titanium shear pins, as long as there is little tension load. Can't say if that was the case way back when the 727-200 was built though. Is there some reason you cannot check what type of collar is used on that particular piece of structure on a similar airframe? If you have no other guidance or instruction as to which collar to use, and you are facing an emergency situation where you absolutely must make this repair, then the logical choice would be to use the collar that provides the best strength while being compatible with your titanium pin.

Good luck to you.

jevanb... I suspect that BAC5004-2 or the aircraft SRM would easily answer this question.

However...

NOTE. For repair purposes I am used to HL10 for nominal diameter, new installations, HL110 [1/64" OS-Dia] or HL410 [1/32 OS-Dia] for match-reamed clean-out of existing nominal diameter fastener locations.

See attached HL10 spec sheet. Recommended collars are listed.
HL70 Alum shear collar for nom Dia Pins is strictly for use on HL10 [only]
HL79 Alum shear collar for 1 OS-Dia Pins can be used on HL10 and HL110 pins.
HL82 Alum shear collar, self-aligning [for angled surfaces] can be used for 1 OS-Dia Pins can be used on HL10 and HL110 pins
HL94 SSTL shear collar for 1 OS-Dia Pins can be used on HL10 and HL110 pins.
HL97 SSTL shear collar for 1 OS-Dia Pins can be used on HL10 [only]

NOTE. The 727 was put together with swaged-collar lock-bolts; or conventional bolts and nuts. HiLoks are relatively newer.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant – "Orion"

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=747cab53-56d7-4402-a635-ac1adcc187a4&file=HL10~PSH_HL_Pin~Ti.pdf
thanks everyone for the reply, I finally got in touch with engineering and they want HL70 aluminum collars for this repair, BTW I am replacing because I cannot install swaged-collar lock-bolts (no room to install) and (My Boeing)for BAC5004-2 is unavailable for me at this time, and the SRM does not reference. Most of the replacement fasteners I am installing are 2nd over with the correct collars. just needed the material... thanks again..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back