Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

hnc electrical engineering 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrical
Nov 6, 2009
GB
hello,

I have an NC in electronics and been a time served electrician for just under 2 years. Due to being unemployed for a while im looking to broaden my horizons. Im looking to start a HNC open learning course in electrical engineering and looking for advice and information. I'd like to find out if there is any real connection between being an electrician and having a HNC in electrical engineering? Also what job prospects there could be and what the course contents really teach you?

Id like to find out some real benefits before spending a lot of time and money.

The course would be with COLU and consist of 5 core modules and 5 optional.

Core:

analytic methods for engineers, business management techniques, electrical and electronic principles, engineering science, project.

my optional choices:

electrical power, electrical supply and distribution systems, electricity and lighting, utalisation of electrical energy and electrical systems protection or engineering design.

these modules are mostly electrical based but various other electronic modules are available, what advantages might they have?

really will aprreciate any help please.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, the power industry in the UK - which I think is where you are, although you didn't say - is facing a tough time ahead with recruiting people into what is a stable and relatively well-paid industry. Job security is pretty good because there's no realistic means of offshoring the power industry.

Find somewhere where you can study the 'old' subjects: electrical machine theory; classical control; power electronics; power transmission and distribution; protection. There are a few places left where these are still taught properly but many educational establishments have abandoned these subjects, or only pay lip service to them, and have scrapped their facilities for practical teaching such as the machines labs and power engineering labs. Find one that hasn't.

If you study hard and do well with your grades you should be highly employable in an industry which can financially afford to be picky but which has few suitable candidates to choose from. A time-served spark with an HNC would likely find a position as an entry-level technician with one of the generating or T&D companies. If you can join up with one of the bigger ones then you should have good learning opportunities with the in-house training. Your promotion opportunities will be pretty good too because the industry has a lot of grey hair at the moment and younger guys joining the industry will find a lot of positions opening up in the next few years.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

True enough power engineering does have some links to the electriction background. Here in the states an electrical engineer with a electriction background whould make a good project engineer, or power plant engineer.

thanks for the interest. yes im in the uk.
But the thing is these are the only things i can study as distance learning.
Im still not exactly sure what an electrical engineer does?(or what one with the above modules would do)
what sort of work and salary would someone with an HNC or an entry level technician do?

Hi 23031986,
During my HNC i took Business Management Techniques (H1), Engineering Science (H1 Mechanically Bias), Analytical Methods for Engineers (H1 Equilvalent Circuit/Maths etc), Electrical and Electronic Principles (H2 Fourier Series etc), Electronics (H2), Digital & Analogue Devices & Circuits (H2 Op amps, Boolean etc), Utilisation of Electrical Energy (H1 Motors,Lighting design etc),Electrical Power (H1 Motor Calcs,Ring/Radial Circuit Calcs etc), Further EEP (H2 Cable EMF calculations etc) Thats a generalised overview of the HNC, I am currently a maintenance craftsman(entry level technician)..My work involves electrical maintenance of panels,motors. Looking after Process control (SCADA systems,Servers(Alphas/VAX's),A wide range of fault finding - Old systems (Or what i class as old - Ward leonard boards/Mag Amp Panels) to new systems (PLC driven).. If you found the NC interesting, defaintly attempt the HNC

You know, I still can't explain what I do to my wife.

Let's see, I go to meetings, and eat donuts. I answer the phone, and answer e-mails. I make these funney drawings, and make fun of the gas people, and our civil engineer.

I also make calculations on my computer and calculator, mark up other peoples funney drawings. Review equipment lists.

Gee, I guess I'm a problem solver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back