Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Call out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Assocracer

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2011
US
Does anyone know how to change the default hole call out? Please see the attached word document to see what I'm talking about. Mainly we want to change it from placing the number of places being put at the begining to being put on the end and it saying _ PLACES not (12)x. Also, we want it to just say THRU and not THRU ALL. Thanks in advance for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SW uses text files for this sort of stuff. I think the one that controls the hole callouts is "txcalloutformat.txt" and it is in: <SW Install directory>/SolidWorks/lang/english

HTH,
Dan

Han primo incensus

An addendum to my previous post:

It may be one of "calloutformat.txt" or "calloutformat_2.txt" in the same folder.

Han primo incensus

As for your "thru" versus "thru all" want, when you specify your hold depth in the wizard, change it to "up to next" and the call out will automatically say "thru".

Jeff Mirisola
Director of Engineering
M9 Defense
My Blog

Just a reminder, you probably want to make these changes to line up with your shop practices, right? Sometimes when you do this you are getting away from drafting standards. Just saying . . . I always got questions about the funny symbols in the hole countersink etc., so I've changed mine too.
You can create a custom file for the callouts and locate it wherever you want, even on a server so everyone can share. Make a copy of the original file and edit it the way you would modify code by commenting out the original line and putting in the new descriptive callouts. Then under tools/options/file locations/hole callout format file/ point to the new file. To revert to the standard SW file, jut redirect that setting.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2011 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

Correct, it would be changing to the way we do things here and NOT standard ANSI drafting standards. It's been a bit of a challenge getting used to doing drawings the way they do them here. They do ordinate AND standard dimensions along with fractional and decimal dimensions on the same view of a drawing and it drives me NUTS. But they pay me so I give em what they want :) I know one of our other guys here tried finding how to set it but didn't have any luck either so I figured I'd toss it up on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back