Hole Callouts including Drill Number 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadfish

Mechanical
Sep 26, 2007
US
All,

I have been beating my head against the wall for years and at 2 different companies trying to find out how to have the drill number included in the hole callout.
Has anyone figured out how to do this? I am tired of trying to figure it out by myself and any help is greatly appreciated.

Our Standard Callout is:
(Note #XX has to be manually updated each time a new hole gets added or existing holes get changed.)

2X DRILL [highlight #CC0000]#XX[/highlight] (Ø.201) THRU
TAP 1/4-20 UNC- 2B THRU

DRILL [highlight #CC0000]#XX[/highlight] (<MOD-DIAM><hw-tapdrldia>) <hw-thru>
TAP <hw-threaddesc><hw-threadclass> <hw-thru>

What I would like to see (automatically created):

2X DRILL #7 (Ø.201) THRU
TAP 1/4-20 UNC- 2B THRU

In "SWBrowser.mdb" found in C:\SolidWorks Data\lang\English\ there is a table that gives the drill number I want to see "AI_DATA_HW_AllDrillSizes"

I know you can link the tables based on the drill diameters but I have doubted SolidWorks would be able to look at those links. I am also thinking if I have to I could add the drill sizes in the table that has the drill sizes and thread sizes, each on the same database table; but then how would I get SolidWorks to know to look at the new column for the drill number.

Thanks!

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before resting before you get tired.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am looking for the drill number "#7" to show up, not "1/4-20" ("<hw-threaddesc>" takes care of that). Yes I am using hole wizard for perpendicular to material face holes, I only use cut revolves for holes when there are special hole features that hole wizard will not give me, or the hole is not perpendicular to the material face. Thanks for trying though.

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before resting before you get tired.

Doesn't look like it.

According to the Callout Format File:

*Valid Hole Wizard variables are as follows:
*VARIABLE DESCRIPTION*
*<hw-type> Type
*<hw-std> Standard
*<hw-fsttyp> Fastener Type
*<hw-fstsze> Fastener Size
*<hw-cbdepth> Counterbore Depth
*<hw-cbdia> Counterbore Diameter
*<hw-cdrlang> Counterdrill Angle
*<hw-cdrldepth> Counterdrill Depth
*<hw-cdrldia> Counterdrill Diameter
*<hw-csang> Countersink Angle
*<hw-csdia> Countersink Diameter
*<hw-depth> Depth
*<hw-diam> Diameter
*<hw-drlang> Drill Angle
*<hw-endcond> End Condition
*<hw-fscsang> Far Side Countersink Angle
*<hw-fscsdia> Far Side Countersink Diameter
*<hw-headclr> Head Clearance
*<hw-holedia> Hole Diameter
*<hw-holedepth> Hole Depth
*<hw-mjrdia> Major Diameter
*<hw-midcsang> Middle Countersink Angle
*<hw-midcsdia> Middle Countersink Diameter
*<hw-minordia> Minor Diameter
*<hw-nscsang> Near Side Countersink Angle
*<hw-nscsdia> Near Side Countersink Diameter
*<hw-tapdrldepth> Tap Drill Depth
*<hw-tapdrldia> Tap Drill Diameter
*<hw-threadang> Thread Angle
*<hw-threaddepth> Thread Depth
*<hw-threaddesc> Thread Description
*<hw-threaddia> Thread Diameter
*<hw-threadseries> Thread Series
*<hw-threadsize> Thread Size
*<hw-thruholedepth> Thru Hole Depth
*<hw-thruholedia> Thru Hole Diameter
*<hw-thrutapdrldp> Thru Tap Drill Depth
*<hw-thrutapdrldia> Thru Tap Drill Diameter
*<hw-descrp> Description

You might try editing values in the database... I would not recommend editing the mdb file directly. Go to Tools->Options, select the Hole Wizard/Toolbox category, and hit the "Configure" button.

One suggested edit would be go to the Ansi Inch (I assume that's what you're using) Tapped Hole category in the tree, then hit "Thread Sizes" in the "Standard Properties" box. You should see a table with headings: "Size", "Series", "Thread Diameter", etc.

I don't think that the heading "Series" is used anywhere except when you use the Hole Wizard tag <hw-threadseries>. You could change all the UNC, UNF, etc for all your thread sizes to your tap drill numbers and then I think it would work.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

cadfish,

I agree with ctopher. If your machinist does not know what size tap drill to use, you are in serious trouble.

In addition, you should specify the diameter and tolerance of the hole you want. Let the machinist pick the drill. Drills cut slightly oversize. I have a bookmark in my Machinery's Handbook 26th Edition on a page that lists all drills, fractional inch, numbered, lettered and metric, in order of increasing size. If I know the diameter I want, it will take me seconds to find out what size drill I want, and hours to find the actual drill, dammit. [mad]

--
JHG

What if you have certain diametrical tolerances on the hole? The machinist may need to use one drill size up or down depending on the tolerances. We are never to specify methods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back