Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Callouts reverting back to standard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest0527211403

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Hi folks

I have a number of holes on a part where we have special instructions. Typical instructions include notes for adding a helical thread insert, bushing, etc. We add these instructions directly below the hole diameter by adding custom text to the hole callout.

We are doing this on hole wizard holes, so the hole callout tool automatically brings up the info from our hole callout file. In some cases we have customized entries, but for one-off instructions, we manually edit the hole callout.

Now, we've found that making any changes to the hole (diameter, depth option) in the 3D model causes solidworks to revert back to the callout from the standards folder, and erase the special instructions we manually entered.

It seems crazy that Solidworks would not simply update the elements of the note which need changing, and leave the custom data alone. Is there a way I can force SW to retain my information in a hole callout once I've entered it?

I'm using SW2012 SP3

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a certain Gallic logic to it...

Seriously, ISTR a discussion here about the difficulty of making changes/annotations to toolbox parts permanent or persistent. I think there actually is/was a nonobvious/ obtuse/ bizarre way to make SW behave as you wish. Try using the E-T site search function.

... and/or try the new "More Like This' button.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

You can change any text or variable in the hole callout by editing a file called "holecallout.txt" (or something like that). Problem is SW only uses one hole callout template file and doesn't give you and option to select a different one. So, if you edit it be sure to save the original.

It is too easy just to type in the text and assume that it will update, I have been caught out by it a few times.
The way that I have found to workaround this problem is to create the hole callout, then create a note and select the hole callout to link the value, add any custom text. then hide the hole callout note. If you want to see the note again,you can use the view\hide/show annotations tool.
Kerry

I think the best workaround is what klemech has suggested. Kind of a PITA but these are for one-off holes so I can live with it.

Where I see the issue arising is in the fact that when I go to edit the hole note text, SW even pops up a warning telling me that I might lose the link. I'm OK with that, since I can work out the custom hole note text on my own for my one-off case. Since this is a one off, I don't think it's justified to copy the callouts file, as this would require company wide changes to be pushed (per our CAD standards).

Where it gets to me is that modifications to the hole (granted these are done in hole wizard) don't update the parametric data pertaining to the hole. Its almost as though SW "erases" the hole and rewrites with the data from the callouts file. IMO it should remember that I took the extra step to make special hole callout definitions. Even if it "purpled" out the text to let me know something's changed and might be broken. I'd rather it do that than risk missing the helicoil or bushing spec at checking time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back