Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole in a shell tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

gustavoliveira

Structural
Jan 19, 2012
PT
Hi,

I'm trying to model a tower with shell 181 element. This tower has a different radius on its top and bottom, so it doesn't have a constant radius along its length. I model the tower with the AROTAT command (I defined 2 keypts for the axis and one line to be rotated). However, I need to model an opening on its surface. How can I do it? I thought I could do it with the definition of nodes but with this strategy I can't make the hole to track with the face of the tower.

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could create a volume who's cross section is the same shape as the hole you want, and go to operate->booleans->subtract and subtract the volume from the area that you want a hole in.

Hi,

I'm having the same problem and tried to substract but I couln't. I don't have the option of substracting a volume from an area (just area from area and volume from volume). Can you explain exactly how to do this, please?

Thank you in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back