Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hole on cylindrical surface

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnrg

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2003
US
We are on wildfire 2. I have a cylindrical part (a pipe essentially) that needs a square hole cut thru the side wall. I have tried the solid protrusion command but when I get to where I need to remove material this button is grayed out! Also tried to sweep it, but same problem, the remove button is not accessable. Does anyone have any thoughts on this???
Thanks in advacne,
Bob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you trying to pick the cylindrical surface as a sketch plane? That will not work. One way to do this is create a plane tangent to the surface and then use that as the sketch plane.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 3.1 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NIVIDA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"There is no trouble so great or grave that cannot be much diminished by a nice cup of tea" Bernard-Paul Heroux

Heckler, no I created a plane parallel to where I want the hole and thru the centerline of the pipe. I'll give a tangent one a try.

When you say "square hole" do you mean a pocket with a square profile, or a regular (cylindrical) hole perpendicular to the cylinder's surface?

If it is the former, do what Heckler said to do.

If it is the latter, you can create a datum point on the surface of the cylinder, and (in WF+) while it is still selected, start the hole tool. This will create a "Point on Surface" hole which will be normal to the surface at the point. You need to set your Side 2 depth to Through Next.

This is more useful when the surface is irregular, but it will work in this case as well.

In 2001 you can create a Datum axis that would let you do the same thing using the "Point normal to surface" option. I can't remember if 2001 allows for a Point on Surface hole or not (it's been a while).

I can't remember if 2001 allows for a Point on Surface hole or not.... yes it does :)

I would think plane tangent and parallel to a plane thru axis of cyl. if you don't need to go all the way thru. but outward on a cl plane if it's thru should work.... but then I'm still on 2001.. so I make cuts...not prot. that remove material???

Well, have tried all your suggestions and still no go. But I found a part that I did this same thing to earlier this year succesfully, so am not sure what the problem is with the new one. Must be some proe-ism. I am going to just delete the new part and rename the old one to make it work. Not a fix but atleast I can move on.
CADCAMGUY, WF 'projections' can either be a solid or a cut. Take your pick, except in this case of course... I think WF definately has some improvements, but am still deciding if it is worth the pain. 2001 was so nice, lucky you.
RocketRonnie, it is a solid.
Thanks for your help all. if I ever determine the cause of this problem I will pass it along.

Extrude with Remove Material is greyed out if the sketch isn't closed. If You close the sketch you should be able to do Remove Material option.

I just created a pipe from a sketch.
Then I created a rectangle on the plane through the center of the pipe, extruded it Thru All, remove material and I have a square hole through one wall of my pipe.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."
"Fixed in the next release" should replace "Product First" as the PTC slogan.

Ben Loosli
CAD/CAM System Analyst
Ingersoll-Rand

The only way the remove material option wouldn't work is if the cut is a surface and the pipe is a solid or the other way around. However, if the pipe is a surface you can still remove material from another surface if the cut feature is also a surface. A quilt, however, will be needed.

I think sloxl8 is on the right track...

The problem with WF is the Sketch Feature itself.

There needs to be something like a "Sketch Checker" that tells you about your sketch, such as:

-Multiple Open Entities
-Open Section
-Intersecting/Overlapping entities

Either of these can cause a failure in a solid, and you don't know until you try to make the feature, and to fix it, you have to go back into the sketch! I would just like to see a set of "lights" on the interface (like in ISDX) that tell me if my Sketch is good-to-go or not, based on what I tell it I'm doing (let it assume I'm making a solid to start).

bnrg,
I feel your pain ;-) sorry to use someone else phrase
I read a number of different proe groups and it just seems they are full of questions like ...pre-WF I was able to do this..now in WF .. I don't seem to be able to... or how?

Okay, I guess there are some improvements in patterning in WF over R2001 but is it worth all the other headaches? Not to me. Just seesm to me they wanted to make it more like SW than resolve existing problems. It's all well and fine I got more icons .. on things I would of mapkeyed anyway. I don't get it.

Being on the Cam end of things.. using Mastercam ...it seems they have gone the same route from ver.9 to ver. 10... a facelift.. maybe Heckler can give some input in that regards.. unless he hasn't installed v10 ;-)

I just wish that the software companys would start listening to the users instead of the sales dept. my 2 cents for a friday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back