Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Table 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimWhite72

Mechanical
May 22, 2008
MY
Hi

I am new UG NX 5.0 user.

How do I create a hole table in drafting?

I don't seem to be able to find the command

Thanks

Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

:| go to to NX6 or use :
use Mold or Pro.Die. - wizard they have it inside in NX5.
there is a way to create they with table / asso. point but its a very poor workaround. At least the are some grip experts whom can over it.
hp it hlps

There may be a few old GRIP programs available that can do this, if you have a grip executable license.

You can get the co-ordinates either via machining perhaps there's something in the Mold Wizard that helps as mentioned above. Or you can just dig them out semi manually using info points, and feed that to excel, because the contents of an excel spreadsheet can be used to drive a tabular note.

What about just using ordinate dimensions, as an alternative NX supports them quite okay.

Personally seldom draw up points tables because in the same amount of time you'd much more easily generate an NC program using the data so that providing the list of co-ordinates appears to be redundant.

Cheers

Hudson

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply, so is there any other simple and easier way for creating hole table like in solidworks or Inventor?

thanks

Jim

Jim,

Some people are in different time zones or have other commitments and this is something of a freebie after all so we can't always respond immediately.

The relevance to machining is that you're able to pick the points and make a list of them that is probably easier to manipulate into a hole table than most other places.

In answer to your question is NX is not like inventor and doesn't provide generic support for this functionality that I am aware of. Here again the emphasis is on machining and 3D Solid modeling rather than on 2D drafting. The difference being that in 2D drafting everything is communicated by a drawing in document form that is re-processed fairly manually into 3D form as part of the downstream manufacturing process, sometimes by manually programming NC machines. Here many of the NX customers come from industries that took up CAD because their designs are sophisticated to the extent that it is difficult and painstaking to describe using 2D drafting. So they more or less have to work to the model is the master with the emphasis on providing data rather than drawings. That is the background to why it is what it is.

Do you have GRIP executable? I'm sure we can find you a grip program, but the output is not associative. I'd as soon cause you to think about going about the task in ways that will be more productive for you in the long run.

Cheers

Hudson

Hudson

Thanks for your reply

Yes, I am aware of the nature of this forum and I am really thankful to everyone's help.

No, I dont have the GRIP executable program but i have solved the hole table issue

thanks again

Jim

JimWhite72,

My advise is never compare others CAD programs to UG/NX, because this is not program that you have icon with one function and that is all. Sometimes you have to connect some different function to find goal. :)

Hudson,

I don't know how it works with NX5 (new hole feature) but for pre NX2;
I wrote associative, it means in this context that coordinates are associative. If you add holes you will have to add points.

1) Assign names for points (use add index, assign Name eg."Point-" and mark add index, select all points)
2) Open spreadsheet in modeling
3) Select cell B1 and higlight C1 & D1
4) Enter =Point(A1)
5) Ctrl + Shift + Enter
6) Populate all cells
7) Now you can do everything with this :)

Column A contain names of points eg. Point-1, Point-2

If you use NX4,NX3... than you can add associative point after Hole feature or create points in sketch. I think that in NX5 you can do it faster and easier, but it is only my theory.
Text extracted from documentation

POINT( "object_name" )

Returns the "defining" xyz position for object in the current cell and the next two columns. For circles, arcs, and elliptical conics, the center of the circle is returned. For planes and coordinate systems, the object origin is returned.
The function recognizes the following types of Unigraphics NX objects:
RM_point_type
RM_gfem_node_type
RM_mdm_analysis_pt_type
RM_conic_type
RM_circle_type
RM_coordinate_system_type
RM_plane_type

Regards
Pawel Siwak

Status
Not open for further replies.