Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole transfer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhushanad

Automotive
Aug 13, 2005
IN
Hi
Is it possible using CATScripts to transfer holes from one CATpart to another in assembly in catia V5?
Here is my requirement:
There is one assembly say die show assy. This assembly contains die shoe.CATPart and WearPlate.CATPart.
Wearplate is assembled on shoe.
I need to transfer holes on wearplate to die shoe.
Currently I have to do this activity manually.
For large assembly this takes a lot of time.
I'll really appreciate any help.
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi
I have a similar situation. I make my main part the master and copy paste with link the parameters and construction geometry to the other parts. It takes time but updates are quick.
If somebody knows a better way I would also be interested
regards
Dave

Why not create the holes/pocket at assembly level and simply select part(s) that should be affected...OR...create a bunch of pads and subtract from both parts.

You could create a remove body in the wear plate representing your holes to transfer and publicate this. Publicate with a common name incase you switch wear pads. After you assemble all wear pads, open up the tree to show the publicated remove, activate the original die and define the partbody as the working body. Select all the removes - part design - boolean remove.

The biggest con to this process - it is a "dumb" linked solid, not a hole. I think the technological results follow, I would have to check that.

Regards,
Derek

You can do it with a script.

Alternatively you could us user defined patterns.

Create a sketch containing the hole positions and publish it. Reference this in all of the other parts which need holes in the same location. In each part create the appropriate hole at one of the points and then create a user-defined pattern using the reference sketch for the positions. All of the parts will update when you modify the position or quantity of points in the master point sketch.

You could also use a user defined pattern for positioning pins,etc.

Thanks a lot all of you !

I used to follow AHay's procedure. AHay- I copy and paste with link the sketch. You mentioned "publish it and reference this".. Can you pl. explain whether you copy and paste with link..? How publication helps? I understand one publishes geometry to easily locate/select it instead of seraching through the tree. Please correct me I'm wrong. I want to know whether publication helps in any other way.

Dave and Derek's method is very interesting. I'll try that. Unfortunately we use wear plates as std items which we download from supplier's websites. If one has his own library of std items which contain the remove bodies, this method will reduce considerable time.
Derek: I'm sorry I didn't understand "Publicate with a common name incase you switch wear pads" Can you please elaborate?

Thanks
Bhushan

Lets say that you have a part "A" and you publish the sketch (name = "Hole Points") containing the hole points along with some other geometry of interest (say a reference plane or datum point).

Parts 'B', 'C' and 'D' all have external reference links back to the published sketch in 'A'.

If you decide to swap the entire part 'A' for a different part 'Z' (which also has a sketch published called "Hole Points"). All of the parts which refer to the "A" sketch will update themselves to the "Z" sketch. No need to perform manual replaces in the parts the "re-route" is automatic.

If you have a standard library of wear plates - lets use DME and SelfLube. If the wear plates are have specific entities that are publicated - tapped holes and constraint planes. If I swap (Using Assembly Design -- Replace component) a DME for a SelfLube (even different sizes/configurations) - provided the publication names are the same you will notice they automatically update (constraints and linked items).

Regards,
Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back