Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole wizard. Cannot constrain the first hole to another reference hole. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CU001

Mechanical
Nov 7, 2012
US
Hi, I have SW 2011. When I try to use the hole wizard, it asks to select the plane (for the hole), when I select the plane, the first hole is placed wherever the plane was selected. However, I want it to be concentric to an already existing hole and it doesn't give me a way to add relations.

I always have this problem with the first hole. When I hover the mouse over other existing holes, I get the small + symbol where I could constrain this new hole. I cannot go back to add relation to the first hole.

Any solution to this?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just drag the first point that is placed where you want it. You can always constrain the first point in the sketch anyway you wish. Never has been a limitation.

A detter workflow for you is to first select your plane/face then invoke hole wizard. This will give you a 2D sketch as opposed to a 3D sketch. Sketch point placement will be much easier then.

Cheers,

Anna

Anna Wood
SW2012 SP4, Windows 7 x64

Best solution is to upgrade to SW12 or 13.
SW12 changed the work flow so that a point is not created at the selected face, and allows the sketch points to be placed directly onto existing features or sketches.

AnnaWood: Thanks. That worked. I don't see the center of the referene (+ sign), but at least it lets me select the reference surface for dimensioning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back