Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole wizard csk & cbore bug

Status
Not open for further replies.

WDickman

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2002
US
I have just noticed that a hole wizard countersunk hole with an additional csk depth (to lower the screw head below flush) generates incorrect values for the csk dia on a drawing callout using the dimension "hole callout" icon button. If I just dimension the csk with the "dimension" button, I get the correct larger csk dia.
For instance a #10 socket head screw csk has a default csk dia of .411. If I require the screw head to be .010 below flush the csk dia should be .428. THe "hole callout" button gives the .411 dia dimension, as if it is ignoring the .010 aditional head depth.
Counterbore depths are the same way. If you change the default depth setting the revised depth is ignored when dimensioning the drawing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am using SW 4.0, latest rev. My VAR has a problem with real world tech help. They are wizards at manipulating SW, but don't have a lot of actual mech design experience, so they have a minimum of interest answering a question along these lines. It took me quite a few minutes to explain what is meant by adding extra depth to a csk in order to have the screw head below flush. (?)
I can't believe I am the only one who has noticed this. Also along the same line, the cbore wizard has a similar bug. Seems that an extra cbore depth specified using the hole wizard is not picked up by using the "hole callout" icon for dimensioning.
HAs anyone else noticed this? My first indication was when the assembly tchs asked me why the flat head screws were not recessed below the surface. Just for grins I then checked the cbore depth of another hole & found it to be the incorrect dimension, although the model is correct.

I use those commands, just checked a couple of drawings I had and they were dimensioned correctly when using the "hole callout" icon. I'm running SW2003 SP4.0.

mncad

I get the same results as WDickman.

I used the Head Clearance & Type option, set the head clearance to .010 and select "Increased C'Sink".

The C'Sink measures .428, but the hole callout tool still shows a .411 C'Sink.

As a work around, you can change the C'Sink Dia. to .428 and leave the head clearance at 0.00

The hole callout tool must use the input data from the Hole Wizard rather than measure the actual hole. When you add head clearance, SW does not update the C’Sink dia. in the Hole Wizard.... so the hole callout doesn’t change either.

I just got an SPR for changing the head clearance of a C'sink hole using Ansi Metric and the C'sink Diamter the angle changes to a negative number. The Hole callout in a drawing shows up incorrectly, not only in the Diamter but also the C'sink diamter is a negative now. I'm willing to bet this SPR will also fix this problem or at least maybe related to it.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP[wiggle][alien]
3DVision Technologies
faq731-376
When in doubt, always check the help

Just went to a SW 2004 demo. The cbore hole depth bug has been fixed in SW 2004. The csk dia problem still exists but luckily there was a SW rep in the house. Hopefully this bug will be fixed shortly. In the meantime, if you use the hole wizard & specify the csk hole to be deeper than the default data, (e.g. screw head .010 below flush) be sure & manually fix the csk dia dimension on any drawings dimensioned with the hole callout function.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back