Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

hole wizard quantity callout on opposite faces 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

lonsgsp

Mechanical
May 31, 2005
US
I have a sheet metal part with a flange on each side. On the opposing outside faces of each flange are a series of countersunk holes, 6 on each side (using hole wizard). Each series of holes are thier own feature in the feature tree.

When I dimension thses holes in the drawing using the hole callout I would like to have the total number of times refect both features, 12X as opposed to 6X.

I have tried supressing the feature on one side and mirror features with no luck and tried to find a way to mirror the sketch point of one of the features also with no luck.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Make the sketch in one of your features a 3D sketch, place your 6 hole locations on one face then use mirror entities to get the other 6.

Dievant and academix,

I've tried these things you mention and can't figure out how to get them to work. Do you do this successfully? Maybe I'm not understanding exactly what you're saying to do. So far I've always done what ctopher says and manually change the callout instances number on the print. If there's some way to make this parametric that works, would someone please explain it in a simple, clear, easy to understand manner?

I too have briefly tried those suggestions with no luck. Any simple explanation, as deviant said, would be appreciated.

Thanks

academix has it right. When you go into the Hole Wizard do not preselect a flat face. Instead, after selecting the hole properties and picking the Positions tab you will have the option to select a 3D Sketch. DO select the 3D Sketch option and place all 12 asterisks where you want them. When you Insert-->Model Items in the drawing make sure you have the Hole Callout enabled and Import Items Into All Views checked. The hole callout will appear in the drawing on the face normal to the first of these asterisks so keep that in mind.

I personally find the 3D sketches a bit cumbersome, but sometimes they are the superior solution.

A star for academix!

- - -Updraft

Aha! The 3D sketch option was right in front of my face the whole time and I never saw it. Thanks! And it seems you can manually insert a hole callout annotation and it'll work; no need to use the insert > model items if you don't want to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back