Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Wizard tapped hole on a curved surface 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drhine

Mechanical
Apr 17, 2003
US
I know I have done this with success in the past, but I can not get it to work now. I guess I have got a case of the “DA’s” today or something. Can some one please point me in the correct direction to accomplish what I need?
I have a cylindrical part that I need to place a tapped hole in for a set screw. I can not for the life of me get HW to allow me to place it on the axis of this particular part. I just want to be sure that the hole is located on the correct angle relationship.

I have created a plane at the correct location and have an axis located as well to make sure I am indeed on the center line of the part. But HW will not allow me to mate the point to anything; it will not even let me add a dimension to locate the hole at the correct distance from the edge.

[hammer]

Thanks,

Dale Rhinehart

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I just tried this and it worked.

Do you get a 3D sketch for a positioning sketch? Try having the tangent plane selected before activating the hole wizard. Also, I used the "up to surface" option and selected the ID of the cylinder.

Hope this helps
-Tick

[bat]Good and evil: wrap them up and disguise it as people.[bat]

Thanks Tick... That did the trick activating the tangent plane first. I knew I had accomplished this in the past, just kept banging my head against the wall trying to remember what it was I was doing wrong.

Could not see the forest for the woods....

I am so glad you posted this tip. I have been struggling with this problem for a couple of hours (on and off) and it has been driving me CRAZY!!!

Thank you!!

As long as the tap is normal to the cylinder face, using a 3D sketch should have worked just find. I must not understand what you are trying to do. While your method worked, I am not a big fan of creating extra features.

2D Sketch Method
1) Click on the surface of the cylinder close to where you need the hole.
2) Select the Hole Wizard icon.
3) Select options within HW & click on next.
4) Deselect the Point icon (or place other points, then deselect).
5) Constrain the points. NOTE: The hole axis will automatically be perpendicular to the cylinder surface, so only axial & radial constraints are needed.
6) Click Finish

3D Sketch Method
1) Select the Hole Wizard icon.
2) Select options within HW & click on next.
3) The Point icon will already be selected, & points can be placed where needed.
4) Deselect the Point icon
5) & 6) as above.

The only difference between the 2D & 3D is that the 2D can be constrained to a line.

Also note that HW holes can be drag-n-dropped onto the same part & other parts, but will still need to be constrained.

[cheers]
Helpful SW websites every user should be aware of faq559-520
How to get answers to your SW questions faq559-1091

I like to use planes to locate my Hole Wizard features, especially if the're on a curved surface. Just open HW, click on the surface close to where you want the hole to be, then setup a coincident relation between the hole and each of the planes, or you can use a plane to get on axis and a dimension for location.

Tom

I like to make a spot face on curved surfaces. Some machinists have asked me to do this because it helps with drill walk & gives them a surface to set the depth of the tap.

have fun make money
Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back