Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole wizard vs cut extrude for holes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurujeff

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2008
A while back the advantage of hole wizard was that it worked with automatic mates for toolbox fasteners. Now if you bring in a toolbox fastener it will automate to both cut extrude and a hole wizard feature.

Any other reasons to use hole wizard over cut extrude besides the obvious that you can change the hole type?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Automatic parametric hole callouts in drawings. You don't have to lookup what the diameter should be for a 1/4-20 clearance hole. Automated counterbores and countersinks. Automatic feature naming (e.g. "1/4 Clearance Hole1"). The list goes on. If you're making a hole that is meant for a fastener, you may as well use hole wizard. The reasons for using it greatly outnumber the reasons against.

Yeah I know about those features all great reasons, thanks. I'm teaching a SW class and I didn't realize they updated the cut extrude feature to have automate. I've been stressing hole wizard and I was going to show that the cut extrude didn't automate when we got to assemblies so now that it does it takes a little wind out of my sail.

I usually use the hole wizard, but one of the exceptions is whenever I am using round or square tubing. Many times I have a left and right handed tube for a project, and using the extruded cut lets you change which wall the hole will go through in a configuration.

In the sample part below look at the feature labeled "Side Hole". The circle is drawn on the center plane, and by simply changing the direction of the cut, I have left and right versions.

If I had used the hole wizard, I would need to add a hole on one side, a separate hole for the other side, and suppress the holes not needed for that configuration. In addition to that, I would need to constrain the holes together in case the location changed.

Flores

One of the features about hole wizard that I love is the ability to use it in a feature driven pattern. i.e. In an assembly, insert one fastener (or fastener stack) into the seed hole of a hole wizard hole and then do a feature driven pattern to fill all of the holes of that feature. You can't get that from an extruded hole.

-Dustin
Professional Engineer
Certified SolidWorks Professional

CBL, I tried your suggestion out to see if I overlooked something, but I believe you might be wrong. Per the example above, in order to have the hole on the opposite side of the tube you have to pick a different face.

(I have been wrong before, and please clarify if I misunderstood your reply)

Flores

smcadman,
A HW hole can be placed on a reference plane the same as a regular cut-extrude sketch. Once created the direction can be flipped. However, it cannot be flipped per a configuration. The change in direction will affect all configs.

fcsuper,
Is that different from what SW08 does with its Instant 3D function?

[cheers]

If you're intending to read the model into a good CAM package, it will automatically read the HW callout info and do the appropriate thing for each hole; it they're all just cut extrudes, it will try and mill everything as a circular pocket, so you'll have to manually define each hole.

Trevor Clarke. (R & D) Scientific Instruments.Somerset. UK

SW2007x64 SP3.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 4Gb Ram ATI FireGL V7100 Driver: 8.323.0.0
SW2007x32 SP4.0 Pentium P4 3.6Ghz, 2Gb Ram NVIDIA Quadro FX 500 Driver: 6.14.10.7756

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back