Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hole Wizard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbylls

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2011
US
Are the values that come up when you click the hole wizard in NX5 stored in an editable file somewhere? I would like to adjust the values to our own standards.
Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you mean the NX 5.0...

Insert -> Design Feature -> Hole...

...YES there is. Go to where your NX software is installed and in the...

...\UGII\modeling_standards

...folder you will find the .xml files where the hole specifications are stored and which are used by the software. If you're careful you can edit, either by removing or adding additional records, what the user is presented with and what the software will use when creating a Hole feature.

Good luck.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thanks. That is what I am looking for.

Follow on question from this.

We use several custom threads that we add to the "thd_metric.dat" and "thd_english.dat" files saved to a network location. They are pointed to using a customised "ugii_env.dat" on each machine, which points "UGII_METRIC_THREADS" and "UGII_ENGLISH_THREADS" to the network locations of the above files so everyone uses the same files. Works very well, but only for the 'Thread' function.

While I can edit the threads used in the 'hole' function (as described by John), I cannot find the appropriate pointer in "ugii_env.dat" to allow everyone to use a single networked location. Therefore we do not use the hole function, but extrude or revolve all holes and add a thread using the 'thread' function (linking the 'p' number for the tapping drill diameter of the thread to the sketch for the hole). Works well, but does anyone know the variable I need to set so we can use the hole function from a single network location?

Yes, there is an environment variable which can either be set in your system profile or you can add it to the...

...UGII\ugii_env.dat

...file which will override the internal NX setting.

The variable is:

UGII_SCREW_CLEARANCE_HOLE_STANDARD_DIR=<path to the folder where your edited versions of the .xml files are located>

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back