Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Holes in flatten sheet metal parts

Status
Not open for further replies.

krywarick6

Automotive
Jun 9, 2003
CA
I have a curved sheet metal part, a simple arc, that holes on the curve. When I flatten the part, I can't add ordinate dimensions to the holes. They translate into slpines when flattened.

Any suggestions on how to add dimensions for the drawing?

Christopher Zona - Product Designer
Loretto, Ontario

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you project a circular sketch onto a curved surface it will be a spline, not a circle, when you flatten it out, an d difficult to dimension. Create a sketch with points at the center of your holes (which is not a simple task) and dimension to them.
In real life you would punch the holes in the flat, right? I would suggest that you create a location for the holes in the curved, but put the actual holes in the flat pattern configuration.

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 4.0
HP Pavillion Elite HPE
W7 Pro, Nvidia Quaddro FX580

So the PITA solution was to calculate where the holes land in the flat state and add a feature. I had to trick the holes though.

Since a round hole going through a curved surface will create a spline in the flat state, I had to make the curved holes just a smidge under size so that they would be cut away with the flat holes.

Referencing the design table will so how I calculated the positions. The hole wizard features before and after the bend show what I had to do to get a valid hole in the flat.

Works for now, but still a PITA!

Christopher Zona - Product Designer
Loretto, Ontario

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=54486bb7-d7c0-45c1-9896-c2a59a6cb11d&file=PlenumCurveWallForm.SLDPRT
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back