Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hollow a Part Out with Another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phebotalus

Mechanical
Feb 16, 2009
US
Hi, everyone.

I'm looking to hollow a part out with another. For example: Take a cube, and hollow it out with a step cylinder's profile. However in my case while the first part will be something similar to a cube, the other part will be more complex (not symmetric, etc.), so I cannot do something simple like cut a hole in the cube.

Is there some kind of function in SolidWorks where you can place one part in another, and cut a hole so the part can fit inside?

Thanks a lot,

Phebotalus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Insert the complex part into your cube (insert a part into a part), place it appropriately, execute a Combine command and choose subtract.

Joe Hasik,
CSWP/SMTL/MTLS
SW 09 x64, SP 4.1
Dell T3400
Intel Core2 Quad
Q6700 2.66 GHz
3.93 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 4600

Cavity function work in assembly mode. Insert the two parts in assembly. Now edit the one which is parent or from which you want to remove the other part. Go to Insert > Features > Cavity and choose the select part for removing the material.

If you using insert a part into a part option then you can use mates to locate the part and then do a combine (subtract).

Deepak Gupta
SW2009 SP4.1
SW2007 SP5.0
MathCAD 14.0

Hey thanks for the advice everyone. I was playing around and found the cavity function, as well as using an assembly to make the hollow cut out. Gives me exactly what I need, much appreciated :).

In order to save using multiple models (Two parts and an assembly model), I would create the two pieces in the same model with "merge result" unchecked.Go to the bodies folder, select the two bodies and combine (subtract), to get your result.

Witht this, you could apply draft and fillets and other functions to each body before using the boolean (combine) operation. This saves time and if you had lots of filleting to do at the end, due to manu intersections.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Stuart Orrell
SW2010
Progressive Studios Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back