Hollow cylindrical parts as per UG-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

GD_P

Structural
Apr 6, 2018
IN
Hello forum,

Can we use hollow cylindrical pressure part machined from rod / bar for ASME Sec VIII Div 1 application?

As per UG-14, we can use machined rods within the limits mentioned therein. But i am in dilemma after referring below interpretation,

I am referring 2019 edition code. UG-14 & above interpretation are contradictory.
So does it mean that we should neglect the old interpretation & follow the latest code? I heard that ASME withdraws interpretations which are incorporated in later editions of the code, but the above interpretation is still valid? Correct me if i am wrong.
Also, UG-14 specifies limits on rod / bar hot worked diameter. Now if we have rod material in stock with forged & annealed condition, how to identify whether this is hot worked or cold worked?
Your opinion please.

GD_P

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As per the definition SA-484, 3.1.1.4
forgings, n—parts, including bars, billets, semifinished products, or complex shapes, produced by hot mechanical working using hammers, presses, or forging machines.
So the forged condition indicated on test certificate should indicate hot worked condition, am i right?

GD_P

Thank you r6155 for the clarification.
Actually we want to use nozzle with internal thread (our own design & not standard B16.11) to connect to external hose. The nozzle will not be exact cylinder with constant thickness, but will have threads, taper section and few steps in dia. But it will be symmetric about the axis of nozzle (obviously). So IMO, designing it considering the least thickness in all cross sections should be sufficient, to comply with ASME Sec VIII Div 1. What do you think?

GD_P

Thank you r6155 for reminding.
I will try to convince the AI with above way, else we will have to qulify it using proof testing.

GD_P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back