Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hollow section dimensions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeys

Mechanical
Feb 25, 2005
GB
hello,

Please see the below jpeg of a basic model I created in solid works.

hollowsection.jpg

Does anyone have a link to a website that gives EXACT dimensions(i.e. radius sizes etc) of this hollow section? The section in question is 100mm from outside to outside.

thanks,
Callum

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you know that anyone produces this particular section?

I know with rectangular tubing, the corner radius can vary somewhat from manufacturer to manufacturer, so you don't often see an exact dimension for corner radius. Also, hot-rolled items will tend to have larger radius than cold-rolled or drawn.

"Do you know that anyone produces this particular section?"

No, this is why i asked.

I just wondered if anyone had dimensions of this section as i am currently modifying my car transport which contains this type of hollow section and wanted to get a profile of the o/d lasered out.

anyone?

I'm not quite sure I follow you there. If this is a custom part that you have designed, nobody on the internet is going to give you dimensions for it- you have to give them dimensions. You'll find dimensions for common stock items, like hexagonal bars, round tubing, etc, but if it's something you've dreamed up, you won't find anything on it.

You don't say what the material is. But you can get custom aluminum extrusions in just about any shape if you're willing to pay the die cost. I suppose you could get manufacturers to make this out of steel or other material, but you'd better need a bunch of it.

If it's a one-off item, you might consider forming it from strip or bar stock.

So cut the part so there is a high quality X- section, put it on a photocopier plate and walla . . .

Since (I believe) that photocopiers (set at 100%) enlarge the copy by about 1 % , photocopy a ruler near the section so you can check the photocopy scale and increase/decrease output as necessary.

Fax/send photocopy to suppliers as desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back