Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hollow Spun Piles

Status
Not open for further replies.

geo77

Geotechnical
Aug 16, 2010
US
Anyone have experience with hollow spun piles? I was wondering about the advantages and disadvantages of these piles. Also, any information on the standards and specifications used for their design would be helpful.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tapered spun poles have been used for a long time as power poles. Straight spun poles have been used as precast columns in buildings, but I have not heard of them being used as piles. I would question the economics of spun piles relative to typical square precast piles.

cylindrical hollow spun piles were used for the original 23 mile Chesapeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel.

I'm not sure if the same pile would be economical for all solutions today pending the applications. As an example, if you google the CBBT you'll see reptition upon repetition of concrete bents and that makes a good case for economy of size/numbers. But if you had a relatively small number, I would think they are very expensive.

Regards,
Qshake
[pipe]
Eng-Tips Forums:Real Solutions for Real Problems Really Quick.

One advantage of spun columns for use in structures like the CBBT is that the spinning process makes for highly consolidated, so very impervious concrete. I imagine they used the void for reinforcement and infill concrete for continuity with the headstocks. The spinning process leaves a segment of laitance which needs to be removed.

Prestressed concrete spun piles are precast. They are centrifugal casted result in high density concrete (fc'= 50 MPa). Spun piles are competitive in price and their quality are tightly controlled.
Available pile dimensions are as follows:
Diameter(mm): 350 400 450 500 600
Thickness(mm): 70 75 80 90 100
Length of each section: 6 - 16 m
Given properties are: area of steel, area of concrete, sect modulus, effective prestress, cracking moment and ult moment. Spun piles have been used for multy storey buildings, industrial buildings, bridges.

Any ideas to the loads and moments experienced in the building collapse? It looks to me that it wouldn't take much to snap those hollow piles with such soft soil around the foundation and the garage excavation.

We regularly specify and design with precast/pre-stressed piles (square or round as well as hollow fiberglass composite piles for coastal projects (also referred to as crawl-thru/drive-thru basement or elevated structures).

The pre-stressed piling can: transition to a pre-stressed, cast-in-place, hybrid or timber floor system, carry a higher moment with the same skin friction as timber, and require less foundation (at ground level) for the structural slab, sometimes no slab at all. Check out & more info on Pre-Cast/Stressed Concrete products
The hollow fiberglass composite piles allow you to design a very tall structure with Cast-in-place column/piles by increasing the monolithic height vs break-out point where most forms would fail, we have never used the HFCP's as a hollow unit - but I am told that in a bulk heading or pier application they are wonderful. Check out for more info on HFCP’s including Piling Specifications, Test Data and Installation Guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back