Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Home Inspections by PE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjd97

Structural
May 2, 2006
US
I am wondering if a licensed PE can provide home inspections. I can't seem to find the information specifically saying so. Also, if a friend is needing this as a favor, are there any liability issues with providing such services? This would be a free service on my own time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some states license home inspectors- check if that's the case in your state. Regardless, you're supposed to practice in areas in which you're competent.

cjd97,
JStephen is absolutely correct.
But if your friend just want's your opinion, there is nothing wrong with you doing walk-thru with your friend, and giving him your opinion. You could educate him on what to ask the "official inspector" when it is done.

A PE can provide home inspections as long as he/she is licensed for that service in addition to his/her PE license.

You'll probably find that most lenders (banks) mandate licensed home inspections to protect their inerest (the loan). If your friend is the buyer and isn't getting a load then he/she can probably waive the inspection but if a financial institution is involved...crack a phone book and look under "inspectors."

Liability issues? What happens if you walk thru and don't see something that later costs your friend money to fix? Will the friendship survive? Do you have the equipment to do a full inspection? Do you want to walk the roof or crawl thru a crawl space?
I would approach it as monkeydog suggests-walk thru and look at structural isses(big deal in CA, maybe less so in non-earthquake states, nad then help your friend interpret the actual inspector's report.
A house is a big investment-is $500 or $1000 going to make a difference 10 years from now?

In Wisconsin, you can be a PE or beautician or grocery clerk or congressman or janitor and also do home inspections so long as you are certified to do so.

In all actuality you're probably better off as a licensed home inspector without a PE. Licensed inspectors generally have zero liability if they miss something that becomes an issue later, although that may not be the case in some locations. However, simply because you're a PE, a @^($#(! lawyer might still try to come after you in the event you did miss something even if you're located in a state that absolves inspectors of liability.

cjd97,

When I bought my home, my inspector was a Certified Engineering Technologist, certified by OACETT here in Ontario. I am a CET too, but not in the same field. I forgot to ask what his training was. Another acquaintance of mine was a home inspector, but I am not aware that he has any engineering or technology accreditation. He got out of the field because the liablity insurance was getting too expensive.

The guy who inspected my house pays a lot of liability insurance. He claimed he had been sued once. He advised someone to empty an oil tank and remove it from a basement, and someone decided to not empty it. The inspector was not held liable in the end.

There was no discussion of structural integrity with my home insurance company. There was great interest in the possible presence of knob and tube wiring. The inspector assured me my wiring was less than twenty five years old. I have not yet found any of the old stuff, but I have not ripped very many wall out, either.

From what I am seeing, being a PEng would not be a barrier to home inspection, but it is not a requirement, either. You still need to be right.

JHG

That's the answer I was hoping for. I didn't really want to take this on. I do structural inspections so that was not going to be the issue. I just was not prepared to take on that liability.

Thanks.

I had a registered architect do my home inspection once. The thing is, certified home inspectors do more than just inspect the structural integrity of a home; They also check out the electrical, furnance, insurance issues and other things that a PE is not trained specifically for.

On my part, it was a bad idea. I still had to have an electrician come in to check some things out.

Charlie

We used a home inspector about 3 years ago - major rain storm, flooding, etc . (not Katrina) - to make sure our home did not sustain major damage (other than to shingle, siding and missing downspouts). The home inspector was not an engineer, but was licensed to do home inspections.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I actually do some home inspections. I live in a jurisdiction that does not license home inspectors. If there was a license requirement then you could not do these inspections without also having an home inspection license.

I live in a small town where there is not good access to those who do inspections on a full time basis and started doing them as a favor to the local real estate community.

I only do about 20 a year so it’s not much of a money maker. (Actually did not do any last year because I was away most of the time.)

The contract that I use for the inspections has a clause in it that limits liability to the value of the inspection. Therefore the limit of my financial liability is for the price of the inspection. Without that clause I could be liable for the full cost of repairing any and all defects that I did not include in the inspection report.

I am also open to professional discipline if I don’t do the inspection to a reasonable level of competence.

If you give a friend an off the cuff opinion you can be held liable both in the area of professional liability and at tort. (Tort is the area of civil law where you can be sued for causing someone harm in the absence of a contract.)

Bottom line is like everything in engineering. If you are not component at doing something then don’t do it.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

cjd97,

The majority of issues that are picked up will be architectural. It will be well worth your friends money to get someone experienced at these inspections to look at it.

will you be able to spot water damage that has been covered up? e.t.c. e.t.c.

I'm an electrician, and sold a home of mine some time ago. I sold it through the same R.E. agent as I'd bought it through, and told him everything.

The buyer had a licensed home inspector do an inspection, and even though he had the coolest little laptop and portable inkjet printer, the nice report he handed the buyer was,,, not worth the price of his printer, or his $400 fee. I recall 2 or 3 items he brought up in total, and they were corrected by explanation (education). I'll not say how many items I gave my agent, but none were structural or potential safety items. One was noticed by the buyer, and brushed aside by the inspector.

....so the point is: Get someone recommended by (disinterested, 3rd party) construction professionals!

Please let us all know how this works out for you! and don't forget faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back