Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Homogenous structural insulated board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tribaltreemonkey

Mechanical
Feb 18, 2023
GB
Hi, I'm wondering whether anyone knows of a sheet material which has the following: Good structural properties, good insulation properties, weatherproof and is homogenous. Basically an alternative to something like MDF sheet with better insulation and weathering properties.

The homogeneity requirement is driven by it being machinable, to add rebates and other features without ruining the mechanical properties (otherwise something like PU composite sandwich board would work well).

I'm after something roughly 15-20mm, ideally in normal sheet sizes ie 8'x4'. The end product is an outdoor shelter system.

Any thoughts much appreciated. And if this is in the wrong place please let me know!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As close as I can suggest...

Search=> 'MIL-I-24768'

'Search' will return a long list...
MIL-I-24768
MIL-I-24768/1
... ...
... ...
MIL-I-24768/33...

The -/#s [above] correspond with materials listed in the case document in the following forms...
Form R – Rods
Form S - Sheets
Form TRR – Tubes, rolled, round
Form TMR – Tubes, molded, round

These materials can be cut/machined using conventional metals tools... adapted for the reinforced plastic stock.
'
CAUTION: my experience is that a film of epoxy primer... covering/smothering 100% of surfaces edges, holes, sloth, grooves, etc provides a superior 'seal coating/barrier' for moisture protection. AND, an added polyurethane top coat [colored] can substantially increase protection from a wide range of 'other chemicals' prone to attack plastics [cured resins].

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation, Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", HBA forum]
o Only fools and charlatans know everything and understand everything." -Anton Chekhov

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back