Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

non conductive high temperature structural material for induction heating fixture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tmoose

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2003
US
Good morning,

We need to hold some tungsten carbide plates/tiles ( roughly 1" square, less than .25" thick ) in position on a two pound steel part when heated for silver brazing . Possibly to 1500° F.

I'm picturing a springy finger bearing gently against the tiles.

Any metallic spring would likely get real hot during the brazing process and wilt.
I'm wondering what easily available materials would stay cool and be fairly rugged to survive hundreds of uses and shop handling.

thanks,

Dan T

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what I'm told, our 35,000 Watt Miller induction heaters will not affect stainless steel or aluminium directly.
I wouldn't think that you'd be at your 1500 deg long enough for too much heat to transfer into your holding parts.

I think the SS has to be ferritic... for induction to work.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

EdStainless; I would have thought so too, but from what was told it has something to do with frequency of the output.
We're using Miller Proheat 35 units.
Stupid crazy power out them.

The frequency will impact the efficiency of the coupling, but if it will conduct electricity then eddy currents will form and it will heat.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

When working at Rocketdyne, we had a lot of sequential brazing processes in the assembly of the combustion devices - a lot of staged brazing with very slight differences (as little as 100F in some cases) in the melt temp range of the braze alloys used. Also the remelt temperature of the previously brazed joint would typically be higher than the original alloy, due to mixing with the base metals, so there was a bit of room for error. So, for the tricky part with tiles at 90 degrees, braze the first tile in the "up position with a 1100F alloy, then turn the part and braze second tile with a 900F alloy, or whatever temps work. Our metallurgist would custom vacuum melt some braze alloys to get the melt points he wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back