Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Honed DOM Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMango

Mechanical
May 1, 2001
US
We currently use honed DOM tubing, 16-20 RMS finish, for our manufactured hydraulic cylinders. We are looking at cost reduction, and some folks here have mentioned a cross-honed or cross-hatched tube that is cheaper than what we are currently using. What's the general industry term for this type of tube?

I've been trying to search Google for further info, but not getting a lot of results/info. I've heard that some of these types of materials are used for argicultural applications, and the circularty of these tubes cause a lot of leaking- which is acceptable for agriculture but not my industry.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

i would think you might be able to use skived and roller burnished tubing as a cost saving measure , seal life might suffer though , i concur with th eprevious poster , scot industries is really the leader in this market .

We have found that properly done roller burnishing will provide a longer seal life. In small quantities, honing is usually less expensive.
Are you purchasing pre honed tube?
The pressure, speed, and life expectancy will drive finishing costs.

Pre-honed DOM tube, 16-20 RMS finish. Speed is about 2 inches a second at 1800psi max. It seems that "roller burnished" is the term I need to search for, thanks all.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back