Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HoneyComb Panel Closeouts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsen30

Aerospace
Sep 14, 2004
CA
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how much load the closeouts in a honeycomb panel assembly would carry. Would considering the panel (i.e. skin/core/skin) to carry any bending load adequate or would the closeouts also have to be included.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are calculations done on closeouts, such as powerplant panels, which shows the load is low. Indeed on the A380 Reverser, the panels don't have a closeout.

I'm assuming your talking of sections going from monolitihic to sandwich panels, and the closeout being the portion between?

In the closeout portion, it is more important to show that the core shear value is adequate to allow distribution to flow between inner and outer skins, to the monolithic part.

I am looking for an appication process that would provide for edge fill of post production honeycomb nomax panel(Nomax core, and nomax face, front and back 1.01 in. Thick).

The entire periphery of the honeycomb panel receives Edge fill. This process is to prevent moisture ingression only. Currently the only post production edge filling techniques I know of require many man hours with spatula and high consumption of edge fill material (pot life).

I am looking for a process and tool system that would cut the core approximately 0.25 inch deep and pressure inject the syntactic film.

Typically, I would purchase the panels edge filled by the manufacturer, however, this project requires specific shape cut of the panel prior to syntactic edge sealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back