Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Horizontal Bracing Design Guide 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

driftLimiter

Structural
Aug 28, 2014
US
Does anyone know of a reference to designing horizontal bracing truss elements when no 'diaphragm' is present.

Perhaps something out of the PEMB world.

I have a deck with open grating and am expecting significant inertial forces due to seismic.

Im just looking for something to help me understand how we get the loads down into the H-bracing elements.

I will try to summarize the framing system and perhaps follow up with a sketch....

Floor system layups:
2" Open Metal Grating.
WF rafters
WF girders
Concrete shear walls for MSFRS.

My first inclination was to put the WF rafters on top of the girders, and then do H-bracing at the center of the girders.
This leads to the rafters needing to span about their weak axis, applying a series of point loads to the girders. Then girders collect that load and the H-bracing distributes it around the plane of the floor to the lateral elements.

Seems like a decent load path to me, but I want to know if there are standards or design guides that help clarify this.
I would say its quite similar to how PEMB roofs are braced. The H-bracing is typically down at the girder level, and the purlins do some weak axis bending to get into the main frames.
For loads in the other direction, the Main frame would have to span a considerable distance about it's weak axis.

I have a really complicated framing arrangement that I need to brace in the plane of the floor so I want to get a good handle of this load path on a regular system before I attempt to complete the more complicated one.

THanks for your input

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you read this article? Link. You are correct that any members not connected to the bracing would need to span weak-axis between brace connection points.

Deker, Thanks I did read that article. As well as a newer article regarding the H-bracing connections.

I think I'm coming around to the weak axis bending as a viable load path here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back