Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal Compression Force Device 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cervantis

Mechanical
Mar 18, 2009
US
I am looking for a horizontal or flat compression device. I am wanting to check the compression force on the handles of our crimpers. We have one in house but the company has gone out of business. Any ideas where I can begin to look for a checker for a crimper tool for the handle force.

Cervantis

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks UNCLESYD:

We are using a THOMAS and Betts Crimper for 10ga 12ga and 14ga stranded copper wire with hoop/loop terminal connectors. The force of the handle since there is an adjustment is what we are looking for. I have contacted THOMAS and BETTS and have received a quote for this device. I was hoping that it would be an item that you could look up on the webb and make some sort of selection. The gage is simple enough, but getting or creating the stand that would allow the force to be applied to the handles in one unit/device that was portable was the key. We might can build it in our machine shop on site, but I was looking for something right out of the box. IMADA and COOPER were two companies that I did come across, but did not see anything that was portable like what we have currently. What we have is very old, but does the trick for our purposes and we were hoping to duplicate it out of the box. Thanks again.

JOHN DAVIS

Use a platform scale and push against it. If you push slowly you can read the scale directly. You can also use a scale that will capture the maximum reading.

Thanks Compositepro.

That it too simple. I wish I could have thought of that. Makes perfect sense. I am going to suggest that we at least try that idea to get some data to see if we can make that "technique" work. It might give us another option. Simple, yes, but very good idea.

Best,

Cervantis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back