Horizontal equipment on one saddle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luike

Mechanical
Aug 9, 2007
ES
Dear Colleagues:

Have anyone experience in this kind of calculation? avoid, of course, finite element method?. Design by formules will be more appreciated than FEM. Zick method appears not applicable to this situation but WRC Method are not suitable.

Please, help me to find an adequated method.

Thanks in advanced.

Luike

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It might help to know more about the geometry you're dealing with.

Sometimes it is worthwhile to change the geometry to something you can analyze rather than the other way around.

Hi JStephen:

Unfournatelly I Can't change this configuration. It deals to a horizontal tank conected to a compressor so it will be almost impossible to change.

It's a little tank od500 x tl long = 1360 mm, 8 mm thk. and it have only 1 saddle located at the middle of unit.
I have my serious doubts aplying WRC 107 because limitations to adapt saddle contact area to equipment.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=44b1dd4e-6874-46d6-9f14-f4c3b963db44&file=vessel.pdf
Looks to me like you could in fact use the Zick analysis on it. You'd need to modify some of the terms as normally presented to reflect actual shear forces, etc.

Dear Colleagues:

Thanks but geometry should be as you see, changes are not allowed.

JStephen, i'll check following your advise, it sounds reasonable. I Will perform calcs only in aspects related stresses at neiborhood of unique saddle.

It will be hard to apply in head location.

Thanks in advanced for your oppinion.

Luike

is it possible to have a link or stabiliser tie rod from one end to a base plate or foundation to prevent moments? Or does attachment to the compressor accomplish this?

I have printed out the vessel sketch and placed it in my ever-growing file marked - "Engineering Oddities".

Thank You

Will this same engineering manager who has forced this abomination onto you be enraged when saddle weld joints fail due to vibration loadings ?

Visions of a teeter-totter keep bouncing around in my head.

Is this vessel hanging by nozzles in top and using the one (1) saddle as a balance??

If someone aske me to build this....I would decline and not to gracefully.

Good Morning Colleagues:

Thanks for to express your oppinions and advices to my "oddity".

I understand your reactions due to use of one saddle but money and crisis commands and it is difficult to figth against "to all the we have done it thus life and it has not failed to us nor have complained".

At the moment, I am verifying the mechanical stability of this monster if I would have any additional problem, if I I will comment it by this way.

Thanks for your advice once again.

Luike.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back