Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horizontal moving load

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgerashki

Structural
Dec 22, 2011
BG
Hi, all

I am designing a warehouse with overhead crane.
I want to add the loads from the crane as moving loads with influence lines. The problem is that I can't see option to add horizontal forces in the vehicle definition, nor in the load case definition. Is there any option to define horizontal vehicle loads?

Thanks in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well that's the most obvious way. I figured it out myself.
I was just wondering, why there is no function to make influence lines for horizontal forces in SAP2000.

Dear dgerashki,

As you could see, I asked this question also. But I think it could be possible if you try next: you can rotate local axes of the crane beam, and then try to apply the load. I don't know if it works or not.

Regards,

jJ

It does not work. The moving load is always vertical. Event if it worked, it doesn't solve my issue. I want to add simultaneous vertical and horizontal forces from the crane in the building and get an envelope of the acting forces.

I found another solution. I loaded every frame with vertical and horizontal forces - different load case for every loaded portal frame and then made an envelope combination from these load cases. In this case every position of the crane in the building is considered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back