Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horn Relays- 2 horn vs. 4 horn

Status
Not open for further replies.

moving2

Computer
Nov 5, 2006
US
Hi Guys- I'm getting ready to install a 4 Horn setup from late 80s Cadillacs into my truck (97 Landcruiser). Not knowing much about horn relays, I was planning to use my existing horn relay. Considering my stock setup consists of 2 horns, and I will be upgrading to 4 horns, do I need to get another relay for the other two horns, or can I just wire them all with my stock relay? If I do need 2 relays, do I need to get the Caddy relays, or can I just use two of my own stock relays? Thanks in advance for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Moving
The relays I'm used to using have an amp rating. I would say the easiest thing to do is use just one relay. Find out how much your horns are going to draw. You may have to buy a bigger relay. Having said that, there will be more juice flowing through the primary wires. Are they up to snuff? It would be funny seeing a Landcruiser burst into flames with its horns screaming. (OK, maybe funny for me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back