Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Horsepower calculation of engine 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncia_Uncia

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2016
CA
what is the proper methodology to find minimum engine horsepower requirement to move x amount of load efficiently by forklift? For example if I want to build forklift which can lift 30000 pounds with 3 stage vertical mast lift, what would be the minimum horsepower requirement of engine that forklift can operate smoothly.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As Mike said. Power is the rate of doing work. You defined the load but not how fast or how high you want to move it. You can lift that 30,000 lbs 10 ft with a 1/4 hp motor if you don't mind waiting ~36 minutes.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Great question. Based on the information that you have provided us about the expectations of the for lift's performance, the answer is: 0 < min < max

Hopefully that helps!

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

As ever with questions of this type the obvious thing to do is to have a look at what commercially available machines can do with regard to lift time and horsepower.
I used to occasionally drive various forklifts of about this size (30,000lbs) and certainly I would be generous with horsepower if designing one - when you are actually working with a big lifter the lift time and even the time taken to shift from forward to reverse etc. it becomes very important that it is as quick as practically possible.
Surely you are not considering building your own lift?

Thank you all for replying.
@BigClive, That was good one if you are joking and I would just say 'NO' if it was in serious tone. Honestly, I am trying to understand as I always have what? why? when? how? I am going through lot of material but very often I figure out that when we discuss, things become easy to understand.
I have couple of more question related to my initial post. Lets say if I replace my current engine which is having 100 hp @2200 rpm, torque of 289@/1400 rpm with power of 75 hp @ 2000 rpm and torque of 312 nm @ 1500. What automobile loose and what gain? I can see power is decreasing, torque increasing and rpm decreasing at max power, but I would like understand in broad manner.
If I pick the transmission with specification of speeds 1st = 2.9 mph , 2nd = 4.7 mph, and use v= v0 + at to calculate F=ma. Is it correct method to find initial speed v0 and thus acceleration(a).
Please, correct me if I am wrong. I would like to check and compare force available at wheel, speed and acceleration when engine is changed.
Suggestions, corrections and other opinions pleas.

Now you are asking a different question. We all assumed your original question was about raising the load and the power required. Now you are talking about accelerating the load horizontally.

There are a number of ways to calculate the acceleration. You can get a reasonable estimate by assuming a constant torque in each gear then using the constant acceleration formulae you have quoted.

je suis charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back