Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Horsepower equation for isentropic positive dispacement gas compressor 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiraltooth

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2002
US
I have been able to find the equation for an air compressor that takes into account RPM, CID, compression ratio and efficiency and I have seen the non-positive equation that takes into account the input temperature and pressure cp and cv of a gas but I haven't been able to find an equation for a positive dispacement compressor that takes the properties of the gas into account. Thank you to everyone who takes the time to help me.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The equation that matches the ubiquitous compressor wheel (from Marks) has got gas properties compressed into a ratio of specific heats (k). The Coper Bessemer equation also uses the "k" factors. I can't find a hp equation that is any more detailed on gas make up.

David

SPGR = specific gravity (90% + hydrocarbons)
VN = EXP(.344 - .18715 * (SPGR - .05))
CON = (VN - 1!) / VN
CPC = 708.75 - 57.5 * SPGR
CTC = 169.01 + 314.001 * SPGR
Ratio = Press Disch / press Suc
Temp Disch = ((temp suc + 460) * Ratio ^ CON) - 460!
TRG = (temp suc + 460!) / CTC
PRG = Press Suc / CPC
Zfac Suc = 1! + (.0703 * PRG / TRG) * (1! - 6! / TRG ^ 2)
TRG = (temp Disch + 460!) / CTC
PRG = Press Disch / CPC
Zfac disc = 1! + (.0703 * PRG / TRG) * (1! - 6! / TRG ^ 2)
Zavg = (zfac suc + zfac disch)/2

Brake Horsepower per MMSCFDM = (ts + 460) / 520 * (50.8 * (Ratio) ^ CON - 1!) * (Ratio) - .715)) / (CON * (ratio - .793)) * ZAVG

SPGR = specific gravity (90% + hydrocarbons)
Brake Horsepower per MMSCFDM = (ts + 460) / 520 * (50.8 * (Ratio) ^ CON - 1!) * (Ratio) - .715)) / (CON * (ratio - .793)) * ZAVG
How do I get specific gravity for a gas? Isn't this dependent on pressure? Is there a conversion for perhaps molecular weight? Or should I use the density at the low pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back