Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hose allowance with NFPA 13R system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPKR

Mechanical
Nov 14, 2007
US
I can't seem to find anywhere in the code book regarding the requirement of hose allowance for an NFPA 13R system.
Does anyone know where I can find the code that sates wether or not I need to add a hose allowance to the calculations?

The building does not have a lobby or any areas that would be considered light hazard. It is 4 stories, 4 apartments per floor, with a common stair in the middle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You don't have a hose allowance, but you do have to add a domestic demand at the common point.

NFPA 13R, 2002

6.5.5* Domestic demand shall be included as part of the overall system demand for systems with common domestic/fire mains where no provisions are made to prevent the domestic water flow upon sprinkler system activation.

A.6.5.5 Table A.6.5.5(a) and Table A.6.5.5(b) can be used to determine a domestic design demand. Using Table A.6.5.5(a), the total number of water supply fixture units downstream of any point in the piping serving both sprinkler and domestic needs is determined. Using Table A.6.5.5(b), the appropriate total flow allowance is determined and added to the sprinkler demand at the total pressure required for the sprinkler system at that point.

Here, it explicitly states that the hose demand from 13 is not req'd:

A.6.7.2 It is only the intent of NFPA 13R to reference the sprinkler discharge (flow and pressure), number of design sprinklers and position of sprinklers (distance from walls, ceilings, and other sprinklers) requirements of NFPA 13. Other rules from NFPA 13 such as sprinklering of combustible concealed spaces, hose stream demand and water supply duration are not intended to be referenced by 6.7.2.

Travis Mack
MFP Design, LLC

Domestic demand need be added if supplied with a "common" main.

If you have separate mains, with each connecting separately to the city water supply, then domestic demand need not be added.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back