Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hose detached from Nitrogen Generation System one worker injured, is it a Process Safety Event?

eriskawk

Chemical
Aug 31, 2021
ID
Dear All,

I would like to discuss regarding some Incident happened in my work area.

A worker was about to purge a line section upstream Booster Compressor using nitrogen gas from our Nitrogen Generation System Unit.

He attached the inlet of 3/4" hose to the outlet of Nitrogen Generation System header, then attached the outlet of the hose to the line section to be purged. The inlet of 3/4" hose was found corroded, but he continued the work and when he opened the nitrogen valve, the inlet hose detached due to high pressure of nitrogen (7-9 bar, 21-50C) and the outlet of the hose hit him in the neck while he was trying to close the valve. Then he was sent to clinic for First Aid.

It is still debatable whether this incident is defined as Process Safety Event (PSE) or Occupational Safety Event.

My justification is it is a PSE, Tier 3.

Taking a look of the definition of PSE, refer to IOGP 456, Process Safety Event is "An unplanned or uncontrolled release of any material including non-toxic and non-flammable materials (e.g. steam, hot water, nitrogen, compressed CO2 or compressed air) from a process, or an undesired event or condition, that under slightly different circumstances, could have resulted in a release of material."

In this case, there was uncontrolled nitrogen release from primary container since its source was from our Nitrogen Generation System Unit although it was in small amount. The nitrogen gas was intended to release for purging, but the detachment of hose making it as uncontrolled loss of nitrogen. Thus this should be defined as LOPC.

Refer to IOGP 456, non-toxic and non-flammable materials are within the PSE scope when a recordable injury results from LOPC. Unless it doesn't result any injury, it shouldn't be defined as PSE.

I would like to make sure whether my above justification is right.
Any other insight or input?
Your response would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,
This is not an incident, it's an accident due to lack of awareness of operator who decided to operate the valve knowing the issue with corrosion. It could have led to more serious consequence. BTW Nobody cares about N2 losses.
The question is why a flexible hose, not hard pipe?
What said the Hazop about the risk associated with hoses, what about the management of hoses and conditions? were they pressure & temperature rated?
Definitely a safety issue and may be a process design issue.
Pierre

Back