Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hospital build in Latvia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alistair_Heaton

Mechanical
Nov 4, 2018
RO
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Mould is a big health issue in many parts of the world. Perhaps not usually in the Baltics. What happened here is that soft materials, including wallboard, were introduced to the building before completion of the external skin. If the facade and roof are not complete, no internals should be started. In more humid environments, ventilation and sometimes air conditioning, is also required during installation of the internals.

Looks like building construction practices and oversight in Latvia are better than those in this one horse third world penal colony called Australia. Its a free for all Bust Up here amongst builders, developers and their cronies in town councils in this race to the bottom of the pig's trough.

I will keep an eye on the fall out.

I suspect a design flaw with "tanking" the ground work might also be in play.

The building trade is corrupt in the baltics don't worry.

Alistair - any idea if the moisture source from leaking through the roof and building skin (what hokie66 suggests) or is this a basement/ground water issue?

I suspect its both.

The basement is one issue and the water contamination and is another on the upper floors.

I watched them on an off doing the ground work taking my kid to the park and I didn't see any "tanking" being done or any evidence of barrier membrane going in. It seemed to be just form work some rebar and pour on and off sections in a hap hazard order.

You couldn't get close to have a look down the bottom.

The the metal roof sheeting didn't go in until quite late in the building season.

There were big issues in material supplies in the region for the last two years. And they don't seem to do predictive ordering. They wait until its needed then order and try and deal with the delay. Which for engineering certified wood was 6-8 weeks for glulam by June.

Steelwork I think used to be made in Ukraine and now comes from Germany, Spain or Sweden.

Seems there is no document pack for the build and all the official plans are missing from site.

Building journal is missing and most of the material quality paperwork..

The builders say they don't know where they are and can't/won't produce anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back