Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hot dip galvanizing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjb

Structural
Nov 8, 2002
US
Does anyone know what the life expectancy is for a hot dip galvanized finish of structural steel? In my case, the steel will be outside so it will be exposed to the elements in a rural setting. I do not anticipate that it will be subjected to an aggressive atmosphere. Also, can anyone give some guidance about how hot dip galvanizing compares to the use of ASTM A588 steel?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The galvanizeit.com site recommended by rich2001 is an excellent source. They have graphs of life expectancy for various environments with different thicknesses of galvanizing. Some project a life of over 100 years. I have seen galvanized towers from 40 to 70 years old, still in good shape.

The self-weathering steels like A588 may work fine for your application, but it is not a durable surface like galvanizing. The patina it forms is soft and can be brushed off. The steel then forms more patina, which reduces thickness. The patina bleeds, making the surrounding concrete look rust colored. I don't they recommend A588 in areas with constant moisture without coating the steel (ie direct embedded steel poles). It is not recommended for lattice type structures due to fraying at the joints. I personally don't like it, but there may be applications where it is a good choice. I can't comment on life expectancy, but do not think that it will last as long as galvanized.

In the UK hot dipped galvanised crash barriers at the sides of roads and subject to de-icing salts last well in excess of 30 years generally. It is the ends of the sections and bolt holes (particularly at expansion joints) which show signs of rusting first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back