Hot Oil vs Glycol/water as heating medium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trond

Petroleum
Jul 31, 2002
NO
Hi all,

We are looking at a new offshore oil & gas facility where we want to install a heating medium system. The heat will come from several WHRU on gas turbin outlets. Operating temperature of the system will be around 170°C (340°F), and the proposal is to go for a glycol/water mixture. I have done some work with hot oil systems before, and would have thought that would have been better suited, but naturally I am biased here :)

I have done some serching on the web, and some sources indicate that 170°C is too high for a glycol/water system. Others claim it is OK.

The way I see it, hot oil is less prone to fouling/degrading, can be operated at lower pressures, is inherently inert and hence less likely to cause corrosion. On the down side, it is flammable and more expensive to purchase than glycol/water. Then again,I would presume a glycol/water system would be more labour intensive in terms of operation?

Would love to have some feedback from my fellow eng-tips members.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what is typically done in these circumstances but definitely feel that 170 C is way too hot for glycol/water. The primary disadvantage of hot oil is low heat capacity hence a need for quite high flows, large piping etc., as well as high viscosity leading to poorer heat transfer performance per unit pumping energy. At 170 C you're not going to have to worry about viscosity, but if your return oil temperatures are as low as ambient it will affect your choice of oil medium.

Thanks for that swift reply, moltenmetal. Very much appreciated!

The return temperature will be at least 30°C (86°F), so I don't anticipate any viscosity issues here.

Trond
The temperature is a little high for glycol. Glycol works in your car at about 150C but that is because the reservoir is under pressure. If you use a closed system with a bladder for thermal expansion it should work fine. Oil does have less maintenance until the temperatures get really high. I guess I would go with whatever the client wants and just design accordingly.

Regards
StoneCold

Hi StoneCold,

thanks for taking the time. The system (if glycol/water) will indeed have to pressurized, but at a much higher pressure than what would be the case for a hot oil system. My dilemma here is that I personally think a HO system would be better in terms of simplicity, lifetime operating cost and possibly also capital cost, but RFQs have already been issued HXs using water/glycol as the heating medium. This despite the fact that the heating medium system has yet to be designed (!).

As hot oil has lower heat capacity than glycol/water, I would expect distribution piping to be larger for the former, and that HXs will have to be slightly larger and thus costlier.

Trond,

Another reason for using glycol/water is the environmental impact in the event of a spill is negligible. Hot oil typically has a reportable quantity, while some of the glycols do not. Also, if the heat exchangers spring a leak (and they will) and you have tower water on the other side, it will make a mess in the tower. We have to use a two loop system to cool our hot oil - there is a hot oil to intermediate cooling water loop, then an intermediate water to cooling tower loop which has the plates replaced annually.

Regards,

Matt

Quality, quantity, cost. Pick two.

150 C - 180 C oil is not "quite" burning (it is below auto-ignition temperature certainly) but it is dangerously hot to personnel and is flammable and is under pressure if something else starts a fire in any of the rooms where the heating system is piped. I think most clients will want to stay away from a hot oil system offshore for that reason as well. There are enough other problem-children systems out there already not want to add another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back