Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hot Tapping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adlparvar

Mechanical
Jul 7, 2015
IR
Can we get 2inch branch from 4inch header with Hot Tapping?
our fluid is not flammable.
Do we have any limitation for size of header and branch.
I have seen Api-2201 , but I could not find the limitation for sizing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes that is feasible, but getting close.

So long as you can get a split tee to those dimensions.

I don't think anyone does a like for like, i.e. same size branch as header size hot tap as your cutter head and the piece removed from the branch is simply too big.

For final confirmation you really need to talk to a hot tap company such as TD Williams.

At that size I would have thought it much better to shutdown and install a tee or weldolet.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

An NPS 2 on a NPS 4 hot tap should be easily done provided that you have the room for the tap and the machine. As others have pointed out, a weldolet welded to a WNRF with a full port flanged valve is probably the way to go. At that size you'll be using a hole saw type cutter rather than simply drilling the hole.

You're already familiar with API-2201 so that's a good start. ASME PCC-2 2018 will probably have an article dealing directly with hot tapping. For now, the 2015 edition has some indirectly applicable articles (e.g. Article 2.10 about in-service welding) that you might find of some use as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back