Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HOT WATER SYSTEM QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluenote49

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2013
SA
While we are flushing our HWT system with domestic water for two day in a row, I noticed that the temperature of the circulating water just increased. I do not understand how this happen because we bypass the heat-exchanger in the system so the water is only circulating from the pump to the branch line going to AHU's and the coming back to the pump. Is there an explanation about this one? Can somebody tell me what just happen.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

by flushing you mean you bring in new water and flush the old out? then you shouldn't really increase temp a lot. If you recirculate, the pump may add heat over time.
ho much more temp are you talking about? 1°F, 100°F?

"circulating from the pump to the branch line going to AHU's and the coming back to the pump."

Is the water going THROUGH the AHUs?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

"circulating from the pump to the branch line going to AHU's and the coming back to the pump."

"Is the water going THROUGH the AHUs?"

Oh sorry I have to correct that because actually the AHU's are isolated so the water is only circulating in the piping network. Is there a relation between the increased of the temperature of water and water going inside the ahu's?

" Is there a relation between the increased of the temperature of water and water going inside the ahu's?"

Isn't the whole purpose of running cooling water to the AHUs to transfer heat from them? Are they located on the roof; exposed to sun? Are the pipes leading to them exposed to sun or warm environment?

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

All pipes are with insulation and cladding and AHU's are located in both the roof and basement. The thing is the the medium w/c is a domestic cold water that we are using for flushing is having a normal temperature and its only circulating on the HWT PIPING network bypassing the H.E. and AHU's. In our design, for the water to increase its temperature it has to passed through the H.E. but in this case since its purpose is only flushing I isolated the H.E. So from my understanding it doesn't matter if the water will go inside the ahu since its not passing through a HEAT-EXCHANGER the temperature of the filling water line(Domestic Cold Water) should be the same with the circulating water temperature in the piping newwork. Your free to correct if I'm wrong. I just want to know and understand what's going on .

Pumping recirculated water will increase its temperature if there is no other heat transfer mode. The pump impeller and flowing friction add heat to the water.

Vitamix, et al, do demos at Costco were they make hot soup solely in the mixer

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Herrkaleun asked you if you bring new water to replace the old water, you said yes , it does not mean you are circulating the water,
is your heat exchanger ON or Off, is there any possibility of water to leak through the exchanger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back