Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hot water vs/ COld water pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAFred

Electrical
Feb 20, 2002
US
Can someone tell me why my cold water pressure is greater than my Hot water pressure as it comes from the spigot?
My tank switch is set at (off-60PSI) and has a differential pressure of (10 psi).
I've taken the hot water tank check valves out and inspected them for sticking or clogs but found them ok, I even for the sake of it replaced the hot water check but stimm pressure is lower on the hot water side than the cold. I'm at a loss.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Could be that your hot water lines are undersized. Has the problem always existed, or is this a new problem? Could also indicated some other obstruction in the DHW line; a kink, hard water deposits, etc.

I'd recommend hiring a plumber.

PAFred
You have check valves on the hot water tank? how strong are the springs or are the just a flap type.
Undersize or corroded lines will not reduce the static pressure just the available flow, are you checking pressure or just observing the flow?
Hydrae

I have been keeping a eye on the pressure as well as noteing lower flow rate at the spigot when I switch to hot from cold. Flow rate is definantely less on the hot side. The checks are no more than a plastic ball in a piece of pipe that acts to keep from heateing the entire hot water line when water isnt being used.

PAFred
You are measuring the pressure when the water is flowing? if so then your issue is under sized pipe, corrision, or some sort of blockage. When you shut the water off does the pressure return to the same level as the cold water pressure? If not, then look at a possible leak.
Hydrae

You also might want to look at how your system is configured. If the cold water has to travel a distance to your water heater, then the heated water has to travel some distance to your fixture, the piping losses could add up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back