Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hotel Floor System - Light Gauge Steel Framing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jack36

Structural
May 20, 2009
US
I have a 5-story hotel project coming up. Structural steel will be used up to the 2nd floor due to open 1st floor spaces, but we will go up from there with light gauge steel framing. My previous hotel work consisted of wood framing above the 2nd floor, so I would always use wood trusses for the floor system. I'm trying to decide if I will use light steel joists to frame the floors, or try to clear span between bearing walls with the steel deck. The deck would need to span 12'-9" between room walls. I have seen both systems and would like to get some feedback from those with experience on this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

By steel deck, you must mean something like Comslab, right? I've used that successfully in such situations. I've also used cold formed C-sections and open webbed steel joists. Given your modest spans, C-sections may well be the most economical choice. I like the comslab for its "institutional" feel but it would likely be more costly. Good for floor to floor heights though.

These guys are doing a LNL for my group this Thursday in reference to a similar project: Link

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

I'm not familiar with Comslab, but it would be a composite steel deck system.

I would be interested in what Ecospan says about vibrations.

Use the composite slab spanning between demising walls. I use it frequently on dorm and hotel projects and it works well. There won't be any issues with vibration. It's also pretty easy to detail to use the shafts as lateral (struts/collectors).

Comslab: Link. Nothing revolutionary.

jack36 said:

I'll ask them. Although, in the interest of self preservation, it's hard to imagine that they would respond that vibration is anything other than "great".

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

jack36 said:

Just got out of the lunch and learn. I put them through their paces pretty rigorously on the vibration front. As far as I can tell, there's no vibration advantage relative to other joist and deck systems other than, perhaps, very capable designers back at the office.

I have attached the ecospan system design guide. Ecospan will send you this if you ask, and I am sure they will not mind it being posted on a forum of engineers that might spec their product. We have used this, hambro, and the comfloor. We just finished a small floor using ecospan and all in all I can say we will using this again. As for which one is best, I think it boils down to cost.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9b333c6d-06b0-4292-b252-e263026a74bf&file=EcospanManual2012v1_1.pdf
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back