Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How Are Code Cases Disseminated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

stanweld, I get the Interps with the new Ed / Add, but not Code Cases it seems.

So a new Case comes out. How is the industry notified of it? How does one obtain a copy?

Thanks,

Mike

Almost nothing is free with the ASME. You purchase the Code Cases either electronically or hard copy. Our AIA provides updates on Code Cases but not the full Codes Case. Because I and my fellow QA/QC/Welding staff prefers a hard copy, we purchase one hard copy of all necessary Code Sections and Code Cases in addition to the electronic copies.

stanweld, yeah, heard that, but how do you know? Check the org periodically?

Went through a bunch of stuff on a duplex job recently that could have been avoided if I had known a Code Case existed.

Regards,

Mike

Part of our duties as stated in our ASME Quality Manual is to review each Edition and Addenda for all Code Case additions, deletions, revisions.

Sntman,
The answer to your question is:

Contact ASME and order the current edition in effect of the Code that you are most interested in. Tell them to put you on the list for ALL new editions and Addenda of that Code.

Also ask them for a Priced list of All other ASME Publications.

Just returned from a vist to the .org. It appears that Code Cases are published periodically in separate books, not included with, for example, Sec VIII, Div 1.

Have to see if the Home Office subscribes or not.

Thanks to all.

Maybe a stupid question; how do you know if a Code Case is cancelled/not allowed anymore later on? Or does annuled mean something else?
Or dont they ever get cancelled?

If the Code Case isnt incorporated in a new edt of the Code, is it then automatically not allowed to be used anymore?

In each publication of Code Cases a "Summary of Changes" is provided defining annulled cases, incorporated cases and new and revised cases are defined.

Thnx stanweld.

My particular interest is in Code Case 2359-2 (use of UNS N06025 for I & VIII-1 application).
Right now, say I want to find out if it's still allowed to be used.

First, I check if UNS 06025 is in BPVC 2011.
If it is, then 2359-2 probably got incorporated.

However, UNS N06025 isnt in.

Now, is there any (cheap) way for me to check if I may still use that Code Case?
If I understand your reply correctly, the first thing to do would be checking the latest edt of the Code Case book, pray that it's in, and determine.

If it aint in, I need to purchase the copy previsous to the already purchased Code Case book,
to see if that one tells me something...

and so forth..

this may become an expensive situation...
or am I incorrect/is there a cheaper way to determine this?

Disseminated,
SnTman your word disseiminated. does' it mean that you want to get inside the mind of the Committee?,
I would like to know as well.
I believe that the dissemination starts with Codes, then Engineering. A little bit of
Industry insiders who have interests in the matter.

Please click here for Information on Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code proposals available for public review.

FYI.... I have tried to cover as many "valuable" links as I could when I put together my collection of ASME Links.. found here...

I would agree with Stanweld stating the obvious...."Part of our duties as stated in our ASME Quality Manual is to review each Edition and Addenda for all Code Case additions, deletions, revisions......

As you have discovered, the real key is finding a "set of tools" to use periodically that would enable all of these(reviews) to happen... ASME should be able to provide a much more "user friendly interface" ...Hope this helps.... I am open to suggestions on improving my own collection of links...

FAQ731-376 A question properly stated is a question half solved.

Thanks Stanweld.
I tried to determine that via TERIO's post, not able to determine it.

CodeRef, excellent link you shared.
Very useful, full of info.
I noticed it didnt contain a link for thhe public review drafts of the B31 codes, may be useful to incorporate it?

Regards

XL83NL, From what I understand, the Public Review Drafts link at ASME covers all ASME Codes... currently only BPVC-I is available for review... I am sure the contact person highlighted on the page could answer further questions.

FAQ731-376 A question properly stated is a question half solved.

HERE you can find some public reviews payd for and free,
amongst others the free ones for B31.4 and B31.8.
Not sure if you have that link on your website though ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back