Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How are tailer airbags connected, leftside vs rightside?

Status
Not open for further replies.

321GO

Automotive
Jan 24, 2010
NL
Suppose we hava a three axle trailer as in the attachment (just marvel at my illustration).

How then are the airbags connected, left to right?
I'm especially wondering because of what will happen during cornering, i.e. the effect on the amound of roll.
They way they are connected will make a great difference i would assume.

According the valve internals there is a restriction internally in the valve, to choke the line. But would this still not result in a excessive 'extra' roll due to the pressure equalisation in long distance corners?
The inside airbags would basically continue to shorten while the outside ones would continue to lengthen and thus excessive rolling would occur?

[thumbsup]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Semi-truck suspensions normally have considerable roll stiffness due to the way the axle is located. There is a trailing arm on each side and that's it. The amount of roll allowable - or the amount the axle can move in one-wheel bump - is only the compliance of the bushings and the deflection of the components. The air springs don't really contribute much.

Thanks both.

Yeah Brian, i was roughly thinking the same, especially during long corners.

But maybe the air spring would contribute during a pulse like event such as a one sided bump though? There will surely be some degree of pressure build inside the air spring right?

Also kind of conflicting because during a one sided bump you don't want additional stiffness (rather less), but during cornering you actually do want additional stiffness (to prevent unnecessary sway).
I guess the internal restriction in the valve connection the sides is sort of a compromise??

[thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back