Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How bad is it in the US? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

corus

Mechanical
Nov 6, 2002
GB
In today's Guardian it is reported that engineers and scientists are being sent to movie school in order that their ilk can be portrayed in a more flattering manner to offset the dramatic decline in the number of students entering the profession in the US.

Will we see remakes of famous movies such as 'Bridge designed over the river Kwai' and 'Titanic' - a story of romance, love, and brittle fracture under impact loading?

corus

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Corus,

This should've raised your eye brows

"According to the New York Times, the US military is paying hundreds of thousands of dollars to send scientists on a screenwriting course in Los Angeles, with the aim of producing movies and television shows that portray scientists in a flattering light."

According to the New York Times which really means it was a slow news day and we most likely made it up or talked to some mess hall private at West Point.

One other thing Hollywood is not reality here in America. It's some place students go to try to get their big break into TV/Film after they just flunked out of engineering school. I have family in England and they always ask me is America like what they see in Hollywood films. Eh, no! Dalton 75% of those films are not even filmed in the U.S.A. America is just like England populated with normal folks.

A tad of topic but.....I couldn't help myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back