Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How big a raise after I pass my PE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJM32

Electrical
Dec 1, 2005
US
I just found out I passed the electrical PE exam in California (WOOOOHOOOO!!! Thank god thats over) and the bosses today offered me a raise. Originally, the big boss had mentioned that they were considering promoting me early (basically skipping a step) when I got my PE. Today I met with him and he decided that they would put off the promotion, but move the raise (which usually come in December) to now. I had previously had a 12-15% raise number in my mind including the promotion. Today they offered a 7% raise and a $2000 bonus for passing the PE (every new PE gets the bonus).

My question to all of you, my excellent professional collegues, what should I expect/accept in this situation? Any suggestions on how to handle it? Most of my friends/family are not in the industry, and I'm sure as hell not going to ask my coworkers, so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How stronga negotiating position are you in? Sounds like grin and bear it time, until you can demonstrate your increased value to the company, or that you have an alternative.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

When I got my P.Eng., I didn't get a raise, or a bonus for getting it. It was a requirement of my job.

Guess not what you wanted to hear huh?

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Congratulations AJM32. I remember getting that envelope as a huge load off.

My PE wasn't a requirement of the job, but my bosses boss was a PE and was pushing it. No raise. No bonus. My chump boss even refused to let me get new business cards with the PE on them until he was councelled by his boss.

They just started pushing the rare thing that needed a stamp my way (in Oil & Gas there aren't many things that need stamped). It was nice having the absolute last word about how things were done, no one ever tried to pressure me into stamping something that wasn't "right" to my specifications.

And getting the PE opened a whole bunch of opportunities after retirement that have been worth many times some pissant bonus.

David

From what I understand the present average is a $5000 salary bump. Which roughly equates to a 7% salary bump for an engineer with the required years of experience.

I just passed in mechanical. For the job I was at, a PE wasn't required and I got nothing. I was allowed to use one of my vacation days to take the exam.

I have since accepted a position with a consulting firm where the PE is more highly regarded- not rquired, but heavily favored as it makes the company look better and assists in winning business and the odd stamping may be required every once in a while. At this new job, I am making a good bit more than at the last one- although still on the low side as far as I'm concerned.

It bothers me that your company offered you what they felt was right and now you have to just take it. I can't stand that one-sidedness. I might keep looking around to see what I was really worth if I were you. If you aren't happy with what they gave you, you can point out to your boss what you can get elsewhere. Of course, at that point you might have to be prepared to move elsewhere if need be.

Ed

Today I met with him and he decided that they would put off the promotion, but move the raise (which usually come in December) to now

It seems like they really didn't give you 7% since they're rolling your passing the PE in with the yearly raises but giving it to you early. So if your typical yearly raise is 3% then you really got a 4% raise for passing the PE. If the PE is a requirement for your career path within the company I would be ambivalent regarding the bosses offer and start shopping my services on the open market.

Congrats on passing your exam!!!

Is the $2,000 bonus added to your salary or is it a one time bonus?

I think the raise and bonus sounds pretty good to me. I plan on getting my PE next year when I'm eligible and if I get anything close to what you were offered after I pass, I'd be pretty satisfied. Especially after hearing some of the other's replies.

Wow, this is some great response!!

Fortunately for me, I work for a firm that designs large mostly industrial buildings (hospitals, data centers, etc), and everything that goes out of the office must have a PE stamp on it. Even though everyone could use the lead electrical and mechanical engineer's stamps, having the ability to sign your own drawings is looked upon as a definite positive.

The $2000 bonus is a one time thing, and its not looking like many people will be getting much of a raise at the end of the year as the company had a rough year (we kept on a handful of employees that were mostly idle waiting for a huge job to start and it ended up falling through). I'm in a pretty strong negotiating position, I don't want to leave, the bosses don't want me to leave, and both parties know this intention in the other. Be that as it may, I'm in a location where the A&E market is large and strong, and there is a relatively big turnover at most of the firms, so if need be, there is another job out there for me without having to relocate.

Both parties left the meeting yesterday knowing that a compromise would be reached. The bosses seemed willing to increase their offer, and I think we can come to an agreement. I'm considering countering with a 9-10% increase plus 5 extra days of vacation. I also may be able to negotiate the percentage of med/dental insurance I pay as the firm sets it on a sliding scale (higher paid employee's pay a larger portion of the insurance premiums, and this raise would put me in the highest bracket)

I really appreciate all the feedback. I'm truly learning a lot about the industry. Thanks and keep'em coming!!

Also, I don't mean to give the impression that I am scoffing at a 7% raise, because I'm not. I just want to make sure I'm being paid what I'm worth, and it's hard to gauge one's worth without these types of exercises.

I'd be happy with that raise/bonus. My company (a large international construction firm we've all heard of) pushed for the PE even though it's the civils, not the mechanicals who need it. They paid for it and I got it. Their response ...... (they yawned)......here's $50/mo. ....... GET BACK TO WORK!

I haven't even ordered the stamp and that was over 2 (two) years ago.

;-)

AJM32,

Keep in mind as other post their estimates of appropriate increases that you live in CA which has a higher everthing in terms of money. In the midwest we see bumps of between $4000 and $6000 for the PE.

Ed, I agree, that is why I'm trying to look at in as percentages.

JAE, what is the percentage raise for the $4-6G? I moved out here to the City by the Bay from the great state of Wisconsin, I am unfortunatly fully aware of the cost of living difference.

I would have jumped through the roof if I had recieved a $2000 bonus and 7% raise.

I got approval for a $250 bonus from my boss.

When I took the paperwork to HR, the rep said, "$250?! Well, he didn't say if that was before or after taxes." So she gave me $250 after taxes.

There are several website and industry magazines that do annual salary surveys so you can judge to see if you're getting paid what you're worth.

I didn't get squat for my PE, and I'm the only one in the company with it.

Instead, I finally got the review I was promised after being "promoted" into my new position - I call it more of a transfer. Because I asked for a raise with my PE, the decided to call it a review because there is no standard operating procedure to increases in salary for additional certificates. So, to at least recognize my achievement, they gave me the raise I was supposed to get with this new position because they had an SOP written dealing with salary adjustments for job changes. The only difference, rather than only getting the 3-4% raise for the position transfer, I got 7%.

So basically, your 7% number with an extra cash incentive looks pretty good to me.

--Scott

For some pleasure reading, try FAQ731-376

Congrats on passing the PE and your salary increase / bonus!! It must be disappointing that it wasn't what you expected but I would be thrilled to get such an increase. At my company it is rare for anyone to have a PE however I definitely plan to take the Mechanical PE in April 2008. What was key to your success in passing the PE, and do you have any recommendations for those yet to take the test?

Thanks.

AJM32,

Congratulations on getting your PE! Now you can easily prove to anyone that you are a real engineer by having them look you up on the state website. No guessing required.

I got mine 5 years ago. My employer didn't do anything for me financially, but they are well known tightwads. One of my coworkers just got his. He isn't getting a salary increase, but will be reimbursed for his expenses (review class, exam fees, etc).

Some employers don't care if you have a PE at all. Others care (and reward) greatly. It all varies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back