How big can a FRP HCl (36%) storage tank be built? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAI888

Chemical
Apr 25, 2007
CA
Hello Everyone:

I am working on a project which needs to store large amount of 36% HCl. I really appreciate some information on how big a FRP storage tank (or other storage tank) can be built. Many thanks and have a good day.

Hai

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

I've seen FRP tanks up to 80 m3 for sodium hypochlorite (3.5m diam, 8m height) , and in the same plant we had a 30 m3 32%HCl.

In other plants I've seen a group of several tanks in storage area for 32%HCl, capacity up to 20m3 each. My be this is the most common case I've seen.

But you should contact local suppliers with a lot experience. Some suppliers claim to achieve up to 500m3 for FRP tanks....mmmhhh.[ponder]

What capacity are you looking for? After a certain point, you run into shipping constraints, but fiberglass tanks can also be field erected as well. We've worked with shop build tanks in the 40K gallon range and field erected tanks larger than that! As jeap suggested, work with a reputable supplier!

Depends how much storage you need and where you are located.

Depending on your specifics, it may make more sense to use several smaller tanks to achieve your capacity.

I would not store more than 100 gallons in an FRP tank.

I know of a tank for storing 36% HCl of 10,000 gallons or so that failed suddenly, without warning. All 10,000 gallons were lost at once. This is the problem with FRP: it can fail in a catastophic fashion -- not warning, then suddenly, it has failed.

At temps of 140 degF and less, I would select rubber-lined stainless steel.

elguero.....

FRP can be used to safely store many grades of hydrochloric acid and has been used for this purpose in hundreds of installations.

Contrary to your claim, these tanks do not fail "magically" without any specific reason. I have participated in a legal team investigating this type of accident (and they can be quite spectacular.) There are some very specific causes for accidents.

The accident usually occurs when there is a blockage of the tank vent combined with air unloading(also called "pressure unloading") from a tanker truck. The tank will fail by cracking (typically on the shell)when there is a final surge in pressure as the last bit of liquid is delivered.

These threads/websites may help:

How bout a star ?

-MJC

True. Failures can be tied to causes. My point is that FRP failures can be catostrophic. Failures of metal tanks are always presaged by small leaks. Often these leaks are easily repaired with tantalum plugs.

I maintain my original position: Do not store large amounts of hazardous materials in FRP tanks.

You can consult the Chlorine Institute's Pamphlet #163, "Hydrochloric Acid Storage and Piping Systems" for tank design details.
This appears to be the "authority" on the issue.

The pamphlet states that 15,000 gallons and above, use rubber lined steel tank, otherwise, if smaller, FRP can be used, as long as there is negligible risk of a forklift puncturing the tank, etc. ie: low traffic area... etc

Good luck//

I second the recomendation of DeltaCascade...

If you are going to invest thousands of dollars on a tank storing hazardous materials, you should "shell out a few bucks" to purchase the autoritative rule of storage.

(I realize that this is hard for MBAs to understand....but, it is the right way to operate..)

-MJC

-

WE HAVE WORKED WITH SEVERAL CUSTOMERS WHO WANT TO PUT IN FRP EQUIPMENT. YOU REALLY NEED TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE USING THE CORRECT RESIN IN THESE APPLICATIONS. DEPENDING ON THE DESIGN AND MANUFACTURER I HAVE SEEN TEMPERATURES TO 200F BUT THAT IS PUSHING THE UPPER LIMITS.

TEFLON LINED AND ANOTHER WAY TO GO. ONE THING YOU NEED TO BE AWARE OF IS THE MATERIAL PERMEATING THE TEFLON OR RUBBER LINING AND ATTACING THE OUTER SHELL.

THE SAME GOES WITH YOUR PUMPS AND VALVES IF YOU ARE PLANNING ON USING THEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back