Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How big should a hydrophobic vent opening be for outdoor application

Status
Not open for further replies.

McCue

Mechanical
Jul 3, 2005
US
I've got a water tight (IP-68) plastic communications device with an internal volume of about 50 in^3. It is vented through a hydrophobic membrane for two reasons. The first is to prevent pressure build up due to changes in temperature. The second is to allow humidity fluctuations to happen more quickly to help prevent condensation on the electronics. The problem is that the vent is being partially restricted due to manufacturing problems. So my question is how big does the vent orifice really need to be. It seems that to vent the pressure changes prety much any size would do since they happen so slowly. As for the humididty issue I have no idea.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

McCue,

IP68 means protection against continuous immersion. I seem to recall that the test for IP68 involves 2m of water. Your vent is not going to work unless the pressure inside your enclosure is greater than the pressure outside. If you are going to remove the thing from the fluid periodically, you are probably okay.

Is your hydrophobic membrane hydrophobic under pressure?

Is there a specification showing the pressure drop or head loss of air passing through your filter? That should tell you something.

Critter.gif
JHG

drawoh is right.

Is this really just a rain/spray application, or an honest-to-God submersion scenario? I ask because usually these are heavy rain applications (i.e. top of a phone pole) and the customer simply wants it tested to be fully water tight.

Is there a source for dry air or nitrogen nearby, or is this device located at random standalone locations?

Never forget "cheap" unsophisticated solutions, especially in high volume aps! A 50 cu in box is very small, without much air to compress internally. If it's a rain application I might test a simple 1/32" weep hole. Or, if a location with occasional flooding, I might attach a 12" length of small ID vinyl tubing to the weep hole.

Need more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back