Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How can I adjust the zone border numbering of an .idw@

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojojojo69

Marine/Ocean
Mar 7, 2006
US
I need to have the zone border increase numbers by sheet ie.

sheet1 1-8
sheet2 9-16

All of the numbers drawings I've ever seen have this. I'm not certain why it's not standard.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've NEVER seen zone numbers depend on sheet numbering, and it's certainly not part of any ANSI or MIL std. Can you imagine the pre-CAD days of pre-printed drawing templates? You'd need a stack of sheet 1 templates, a stack of #2, etc. etc. Drawing locations are specified in my little world by sheet number and zone, i.e. "Sht. 2, zone A3" etc.

not an ANSI standard, but either way:

-under drawing resources, expand the "borders" folder, right click and define a new zone border
-pick how many numbers/letters, etc
-edit them for each sheet.

it's not a standard because it's not a standard.

It is a standard for the maritime industry. Every drawing I've ever touched has the same notation. Not to mention every drawing my company (thousands large) our sisters companies, contractors, government contractors, and customers all use this notation. The reason is that originally, old drawings were quite large, long, and rolled up. Section views are not identified as A-A they're identified as 9-B or 23-C indicating where in the drawing you can find them. Since older drawings were one large drawing this particular notation was not altered. We are also under contractual obligations to deliver drawings in this fashion. I know personally of tens of thousands of autocad users familiar with this style of notation but are just now being introduced to the realm of Inventor.

It seems silly that Autodesk would have no standard user option to account for this. If you have an idea of how to do this I'm all ears.

" Since older drawings were one large drawing this particular notation was not altered. " And hasn't been.

Size E (I think) drawings are defined in the ANSI standard as being "as long as you need them to be", and thus you can create a template (or there may well be one already) with zones numbering from A1 to 99 and probably on beyond. But you don't call them different _sheets_ AFAIK, and you certainly don't cut them into separate sheets unless you want to get spanked by an old-timer. You plot them on a size E format roll-fed plotter, which are still made (our sister company has one, and I can link to it via the network). Then you roll them back up to store them.

Ok, so a quick look didn't show me any non-standard E size dwg templates, but then I didn't look real hard, and don't know if something done in installation kept them from being plunked into my default templates folder.

This page talks about how to build your own:

There are likely other users with similar problems. Aircraft, structural and other users may need the long-form E size drawings as well. A little googling may give you more advice.

It seems silly that Autodesk would have no standard user option to account for this.

We draw our own borders and don't rely on Inventor default. You can make as many as you need (which I imagine will be a lot).

What part of marine use this? It is not used in ship building or subsea where I have worked.

Do you really 'personally' know 10s of thousands of AutoCAD users? You must be killing it on Facebook..

Thanks everyone. The process is kind of a bastardization of one large drawing but has become morphed into the seperate sheets.

@EngAddict
There are over 10000 ACAD users using these drawings in my company alone(shipbuilding). Including the many customers and contractors, I do know OF 10s of thousands. If you can't answer the question why are you wasting both of our time?

Inventor does not offer this functionality. It would be 100% manually done by creating multiple sheet templates and manually adding in zone information.

We all follow standards.. Even with 10,000 users you should too.

I still maintain that in all other shops using the long E-size drawings, the drawings were kept in long form, i.e. plotted off rolls and stored as rolled drawings (so that they could be fed thru a roll-fed blueprint machine). If you use multiple E-size sheets, the ANSI standard E-size template should be used, with view location information called out by both sheet no. and zone.

If you can't answer the question why are you wasting both of our time?

I can feel an admin moderated post coming on but here goes..

I have answered your question, create a custom border like everyone else. This is no different to AutoCAD but I guess it isn't the answer you want to hear.
No company with experienced Inventor users and their own standards use the stock borders. Only new users or companies without standards use the out of the box templates. It is quite common.

The companies I know in shipbuilding don't use Inventor, they use AutoCAD with add-ins custom designed for the ship building industry. These specially designed programs would incorporate and quirky 'industry/company' standards that the rest of the manufacturing industry don't use or need. Then again I can't speak for all Inventor users since I maybe only personally know hundreds both locally and online (possibly more but I don't want to BS). If you have 10,000 AutoCAD users the law of averages states that at least a 100 would also be Inventor gurus, you could try and ask around if the answers here don't suit your expectations.

I don't know about you guys but I am trying to picture a drafting office with 10,000 desks, 10,000 computers, etc.. you would need to ride a bike to get from one end to the other in under an hour. Alternatively a 60 story high rise would maybe be sufficient. Autodesk must be killing the pig on their subscription each year. I know some people who work for multinational oil and gas, and mining companies, with maybe a few thousand people locally and they personally only know a handful of people. I ask them if they know people in the department I deal with and the answer is usually no. If I were you I would ask for a pay rise for being such a community minded employee and taking the time to personally interact with everyone in your entire organization. I have heard of mind mapping but could you teach me some tricks for remembering all their names? I go to a party and can't remember the names of the people I just met. I'm hopeless like that.

I hope I have answered your question, if not I think the other posters have covered it quite well. Please don't take anything I say too seriously, I am only trying to help. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back