Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How can i connect to a PLC using VB.NET?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fec

Computer
Jun 18, 2003
GB
In the past i have previously used VB6 and DDE with RSLinx, but with the release of VB.NET DDE has been dropped.

Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've used VB.NET as an OPC Client to RSLinx.

.NET has a problem with OPC because COM Interop can't handle the interface.

IMO the best way is to use COM objects that make the OPC calls and then expose an Interop freindly interface to .NET
This is the approach taken by Kineticart and is the one I've used. Their OPC client is extremely good value. See
There is also a 'pure .NET. method as discussed in the following article:

"OPC and .NET with COM Interoperability"
Email me if you want to know more

I have used a .ocx from Autoamted Solutions that will talk to the most popular of AB products via Ethernet, KTX or DF-1. I think its a superior product because i can control the timing and programming methodolgy that works best for the project. Otherwise you have of conform to AB gudilines of OPC or DDE.

I've the above referenced OCX control from Automated Solution many times and it's always been very fast and very reliable. I recommend it very highly, not only because of it's abilities but also because of it's price!!

I have read alot about this, one piece of information that seems to be missing is how do you have the plc initialize the communication to the pc. Such as we want to log to a sql server, but the logging is random.

These are the two ways that i know of but would like to know if there is any better.

1. Timer on pc in vb.net app checking plc for a bit that indicates a log entry needs to be made.

2. IO card in PC interfaces to IO on plc, but you still need a timer to check that IO since there is no real event for IO cards.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back