Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How can I get a part to be associated w/ a particular layer in .idw

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojojojo69

Marine/Ocean
Mar 7, 2006
US
I need to bring in clearance parts on the clearance layer and electrical parts on the electrical layer. I can individually select the parts and adjust the properties but it's much easier to assign them a to a layer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah he knows, it doesn't work that way. It is object based not layer based. Sounds like AutoCAD would suit your drawings better, it comes free with Inventor suite.

I'm not aware if you've worked w/ idw's but they do have a layer system similar to Autocad.

Let me clarify. I'm in the process of converting several 2d autocad drawings into drawings based on Inventor models. Currently each side view, section view, properties,item counts, and more are royal pain because not only do we have to update each one individually but we have to constantly duplicate efforts and introduce human errors. Enter the realm of developing drawings from 3d models. Inventor allows the use of layers in their 2d drawing environment for borders, titles, etc. Historically all of our 2d ACAD drawings have the various items shown differently and on different layers (ie. electrical equipment in magenta on the electrical layer, clearance areas in dashed red lines on the clearance layer).

When creating an .idw I can select a part and update the style of the line but I can't figure out how to assign the electrical parts to the electrical layer. When dealing w/ a few parts this is not too problematic. When it needs to be done for thousands of parts it's a royal pain.

We understand 100% what you are asking.. Now understand its NOT possible with Inventor to have this happen automatically just like its not possible with Autocad to do this either. Inventor does NOT include the functionality you desire.

It works just like Autocad.. Manually select a line/lines and assign it to a layer if you really want that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back